What would YOU do if the first mate on your charter was a Gilligan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, we've all had them on at least one charter: a first mate that was incompetent, didn't care or was generally clueless. Generally, they are full of themselves and have no idea that they are a problem: not a solution. Yes, I had a run in with one of these Gilligans recently and while the whole boat was laughing at his shenanigans, it was kind of tragic. Here's a partial list:
  • Barking at other employees in FRONT of the customers.
  • Loaded a bunch of air tanks on a boat where EVERYONE was diving NitrOx. Left them there IN OUR WAY for the entire time.
  • Could not (would not???) deal with the NitrOx tanks, causing the boat to leave late. Of course, he blamed others for this.
  • Always asked the customer to accommodate him and not the other way around.
  • Told us how competent he was in a different industry (skiing).
  • Had to have help setting a mooring line.
  • Didn't advise us of a RIPPING current on a wreck and left out a lot of other pertinent information.
The list could go on, but he was a drama queen the entire trip. At the end, he asked for a tip. Sorry, but I just couldn't reward him for being a Gilligan.

For the record: I won't be revealing just who this is. Please don't ask or guess as I won't confirm OR deny.

Probably mostly suffer in silence, ignore the Gilligan as much as practical (obviously not during roll call, etc.), and just roll my eyes internally and think about how peaceful it was going to be underwater and/or back in my car (because this sort of Gilligan sounds like a lost cause in terms of constructive suggestions). I would do/say something if there were something directly affecting my gear, and/or clearly posing a dangerous situation.

Later, if it were an op I knew and liked, I would say something to the owner(s), making sure to let them know that I like them and their people in general, but that this Gilligan basically ruins it for me, and why. If it were a more "temporary" or new op to me, I might just choose to dive with someone else on subsequent trips.

Like the skipper never knew his 1st was Gilligan. Find a new boat.

Reactions: Ana
Take him aside and speak up. Tell him what you liked about his performance and what he did to make the trip less enjoyable. Give him some pointers about making future trips better for divers and ways to act to score better tips. He'll either appreciate the advice, be upset by it, or not care. In any event you would have applied a little personal gumption that could help others not have to endure the same unhappiness and you might help to make things better for that guy and the operation. Truth sometimes hurts but always educates.

Net doc,

hoping it was just a day dive! Imagine if you were on a liveaboard all week with one. I've had divers like that but never a 1st mate. I'd say walk the plank.

Definitely talk with the owners. Folks like that don't usually last long.

What they said. Sorry about your day, sucks big time.

I'm very much the "suffer in silence" type, as well, until someone completely steps out of line. My temper, unfortunately, can get the best of me in those situations so I do my best not to go there. I try to get off the boat and in the water as quickly as possible. A good dive can usually help!

Yet I will vote with my wallet. There's at least one boat I will do my best to avoid because the crew considers the paying customers to be an inconvenience. The diver community is small enough (and loves to talk), that bad behavior stands a good chance of being rewarded in the end.

I'm very much the "suffer in silence" type, as well, until someone completely steps out of line. My temper, unfortunately, can get the best of me in those situations so I do my best not to go there. I try to get off the boat and in the water as quickly as possible. A good dive can usually help!

Yet I will vote with my wallet. There's at least one boat I will do my best to avoid because the crew considers the paying customers to be an inconvenience. The diver community is small enough (and loves to talk), that bad behavior stands a good chance of being rewarded in the end.

Yes me too, problem is I suffer to a point then when my line is crossed I go off, am trying to curb that aspect of my personality.

If you were a passenger which your post seems to indicate, bring this up in a non-confrontational manner with the CB Owner if you are that upset over it. Since you are posting, I assume you are. It doesn't sound like anyone's life was in danger this time, just some annoyances about your dive that are possible pointers to much larger future problems. Lack of professionalism. Call it what you will.. Talk to the owner - Not the crew. Not the person that answers the phone's "manager". If the owner fails to see the issue, or wont take/return your call, then stop booking through them and find another charter you like better. Last time I checked there was lots of competition. When you step on a charter boat, you may or may not like the experience that you receive, but you are usually taking a somewhat of a gamble when you do so, and you should be prepared for a less than perfect experience. Not that you should expect that, just be prepared to be somewhat on your own. Some DM's will be better than others. Getting you to and from the dive safely should be job #1. These days that alone seems to be the defining standard for charters. Especially the getting you home part. Someone like you describe generally does not make it very long, as he/she is bound to make a much bigger mistake on the backside that will be a job/career ending move, as they are not paying attention to details, both life-threatening and non-life threatening. Hopefully nobody gets hurt when they do make their final mistake. I guess to sum it up, I think you are now obligated to call the owner and describe your experience and why you take issue with what went down. Posting here wont help. If you don't call them then you are perpetuating a potentially unsafe situation that probably should not continue. Be prepared for your complaint to be promptly ignored though, as I speculate that anyone that would allow an employee to provide an experience that seems as unprofessional as you describe probably is oblivious to their business and is just collecting cash for boat rides. That having been said most of the DM's that I run into up my way, are friendly professional, and bust their butts to make sure your experience is as safe, pleasant, and fun as possible. I think all your points are reasonable things that I would have expected to be taken care of, so talk to the owner and have a FRIENDLY conversation about it. Your only other option is once you are on the boat, if you see this behavior, do not dive - But who's realistically going to do that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom