What Would You Do if You Looked Up and Saw a Great White Shark?

What would you do if you saw a GWS?

• Suffer a heart attack

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Experience a flooded mask from smiling

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Never dive again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chase after him, hoping for more photos

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Stab dive buddy and make a getaway

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Permanently soil your wetsuit

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think most of the respondents to this survey are those who dive in waters where there is little chance of coming face to face with one. Even the babies are huge, and are often inquisitive. It’s easy to think you will smile and chase after one. For me personally it would be a missed safety stop if possible or a leopard crawl out.

Just my 2 cents

If I'm honest one of the reasons I started diving 8 years ago was for the opportunity to see one. I still haven't and quite possibly won't ever but plenty of others divers here have. Most of those who I've spoken to who have admit to sh!tting themselves to a certain degree which is understandable. I like to think my answer would be 2) and 4) but 1) could be a possibility depending on the circumstances.

I tend to agree on the safety stop in blue water thing - the one shark that did make me really focus on what he was up to was a solitary silky at the mouth to the pass in Rangiroa. Prefer not to be in that position when you have a shark just hanging there...have seen vid of silkys headbutting divers in the same spot.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 10:01 PM ----------

I'd probably have a moment of panic and then start snapping pictures/video as long as it was around. I sure as hell wouldn't chase after it but I'd be very glad for the experience.

EDIT: That all assumes that it's just cruising by above me and paying me no attention. If it's on a direct course for me, I'd probably find religion but still try to take some pictures/video.

... if I looked up and saw a GWS, I'd attempt to take a picture ... if I looked down and saw one, I might get a little worried ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's the one you don't see that will cause the major problem.

Bob
--------------------------
Not Grateful Diver, but a grateful diver

I think we all get the point, Sharks aren't monster man-eaters who hunt out scuba divers. Having said that, this isn't a black and white thing. It's not like you either want to swim up and hug the lovely great whites or hunt them to extinction. I can have respect for an animal to the point where I don't want to hunt it to extinction yet still want to get out of the water if there is one in the area.

It's the same way I wouldn't hunt down a pride of lions, but sure as hell wouldn't stick around to "bask in their beauty."

They seem to swim just outside the limits of visibility or behind my back! Those suggesting they would be in fear if the shark was swimming below them must assume that they only attack prey from below. Observations we've made on giant sea bass out here indicate they will attack from above as well. However, humans underwater don't really look like giant sea bass or pinnipeds so I don't worry much when I'm diving... and the ladies don't have a thing to worry about since these sharks are "man eaters."

I have no problem with sharks below me.....I do however have a minor problem with them sharing a safety stop with me. This has happened once.....

Safety stop is not mandatory :wink:

Anyway after I perform the "warhammer" I would take more photos, assuming of course I have the correct lens, knowing my luck I would have the 105mm :rolleyes:

Dr Bill, noticed how flattering Vegan Shark is, he thinks we could have childhood trauma from Jaws.

Bob
--------------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom