What Would You Do if You Looked Up and Saw a Great White Shark?

What would you do if you saw a GWS?

• Suffer a heart attack

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Experience a flooded mask from smiling

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Never dive again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chase after him, hoping for more photos

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Stab dive buddy and make a getaway

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Permanently soil your wetsuit

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre Hartman took Jean-Michel Cousteau out to free dive like this with GWS back in the late 1990s or early 2000. I remember him telling me about the experience. Unfortunately, I understand Andrew suffered a heart attack or stroke "recently."

djmcousteashark.jpg

Here is Jean-Michel with a GWS. He was pretty aged when this happened.

I'd much rather my encounter to like this where I don't have time to think other than just enjoy the shear terror and beauty at the same time. Shark at min 1:24

[video=youtube_share;owbFQWijMqI]http://youtu.be/owbFQWijMqI[/video]

Do you think your skins scared it away?

Push you out of the way so I could get photos of him without you in it (whomever you is).

If a Great White would have to remind myself to breathe as first instinct would be to become one with the surroundings. Would be looking to be sure he had no friends above, below or behind me, back up slowly to buddy, get back to back and exit quietly stage left, skipping safety stop unless deep dive. Would be mentally praying shark was stuffed to gills already and that buddy didn't pass out from fright or suck tank dry in next 3 minutes requiring intervention. Upon surfacing would execute the walk on water boat entry. Other sharks I'd probably be trying to take a picture but never chasing them for fear they do a sudden about face.

View attachment 180632

Here is Jean-Michel with a GWS. He was pretty aged when this happened.

Jean-Michel or the shark? I believe he was in his early 60s when he did that with Andre Hartman. Last December I spent some time filming squid with him and despite being a bit older than when we first met in the mid-1970s, he was still diving circles around many of the young folks. Of course I haven't aged since then myself!

Although I'm sure there have been great whites nearby when I've dived Catalina over the past 45 years, they rarely come within sight (our vis isn't always great). The one time I've knowingly had a great white swim close was when I was buddied up with Wyland at his request to film giant sea bass. Although I didn't see the shark myself, Wyland said a 14 ft GWS swam between the two of us (and we were fairly close together).

I've had several friends who have had encounters with the GWS here but not one of them was threatened or "attacked." In fact when one local dive instructor swam toward the GWS to film it, the shark turned tail and ran. I'd worry much more if there was a big tiger or bull in the water with me. Fortunately neither are found here (although there was one confirmed sighting of two juvenile tigers years ago).

The order is
1) make a mess in my drysuit/wetsuit
2) take lots of pictures and videos.
3) Experience a flooded mask from smiling
4) Stab dive buddy and make a getaway.

In all fairness, I would likely never dive that spot again. I do not go looking for that which will kill me.

In all fairness, I would likely never dive that spot again. I do not go looking for that which will kill me.

Although not a frequent occurrence, GWS are sighted here in the waters surrounding Catalina occasionally. We know they are there and they have been seen just yards off the dive park. However, in the last 50 years there has only been one death due to a GWS attacking a diver... and that diver was on hookah in waters with generally low visibility. If I stopped diving our waters because there are GWS seen in them, I'd become a landlubber. No way!

Bill, sea lions are pretty rare around the dive park, right? Do the GWS hunt giant sea bass in that area instead?

Back
Top Bottom