What would you recommend for a bottom timer/depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Tec2g now. It does everything I need it to do - I run it in gauge mode, I set the stop watch if I am on a deco dive, etc. The problem with it is I have a hard time reading the numbers as I have a difficult time seeing up close when I have contacts on.

All I need is an instrument that I can run in gauge mode and that is easier to read (bigger, lit all the time during a dive, only displaying information that is useful for the dive, etc). Bonus if it is relatively inexpensive.

I'm told that the shearwater petrel is along these lines. Is there something better or the same but less expensive than the petrel? Do you guys/gals find the petrel easier to read during a dive than something like a tec2g?

The nicest screen out there is probably the Liquivision Xen, but it isn't cheap. OTOH, there were two posted in the Classifeds on 6/16 and they haven't been marked as Sold yet.

Adobe, I totally feel you. The 2G does everything right for me except that extra lousy screen. I don't want to pay for Petrel. In fact, I don't need that color screen. All I need is something compatible to Sunnto or Oceanic screen quality. Why can't any manufacture do it right!!!

I went to the Suunto Vytec from the Tech 2g, for the larger display. I think you can pick them up fairly cheaply used, when you can find them. Beyond that, I'd recommend the Xen, which although not cheap, is a lot less (even brand new) than the Petrel.

I went to the Suunto Vytec from the Tech 2g, for the larger display. I think you can pick them up fairly cheaply used, when you can find them. Beyond that, I'd recommend the Xen, which although not cheap, is a lot less (even brand new) than the Petrel.

Didn't you and/or several of your dive buddies have Xens? In general, have they been as durable as other *normal* computers?

I switched to the Petrel for the reasons you mentioned. It is so big that it sits higher on my arm so I still have some issues getting it far enough away to read. It is much easier to read than the Tech 2g. The Petrel also has the advantage of being very intuitive, not locking you out in computer mode for stop violations and using the same model and GFs I use with my tables. I don't know if I would bother to keep it all set up for computer mode if I was still doing deeper dives with multiple gases because of the inconvenience of remembering to fiddle with the computer for each switch when I need to be watching teammates. But, for simpler dives leaving it in computer mode and being able to play around with the tissue loading graphs and real time GF gives you a distraction during stops. If you are comfortable running deco in your head/ using tables, it is an interesting check on the model's view of the conservatism/ aggressiveness of your actual dive profile. Of course, I consider hydration, work effort, physical condition, etc. far more important to adjusting my profile than exact pressure calcs of a dive computer. It is interesting data and has so far validated from a model standpoint how I incorporate average depths into determining which schedule to run.

My bottom timer before the uwatec was a suunto vytec. I have owned around a dozen suunto products over the years. I am a slow learner. Most have eventually failed in one manner or the other. The only suunto items I own that are still functioning are their land based compass and an old D3 (non computer) watch. Half the buttons are broken on the watch so it is living on borrowed time. Even a deal on a suunto wouldn't be good enough for me.

XDeep bottom timer, about $400. Just like the petrel display but only a BT. Can be upgraded later to full tmx if wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XDeep bottom timer (renamed Genz now btw) is not produced anymore. Only the EANx and TMX versions. And it's incredibly hard to find any of those. It was the best solution out there though... Sad that I missed it.

The Xen requires a lot more upkeep than a 2g, which you can kind of toss in the gear bin between dives and forget about. Xen has batteries that need charged and even the non-rechargeable ones really need to be removed if you're not going to be diving for a while. The unit drains em quick even in standby.

Aside from that, I like the Xen functionality and screen. But it comes at a price. Most suspect is the oled screens wearing out and dimming over time. Hasn't happened to mine but it's a thing that some folks are experiencing.

Used Xens, Xeos, and Petrel/predators come up from time to time.

I'm also hearing good things about the SeaBear units. Haven't dived one personally but from friends have em and say good things. Might be spendy though.

The Genz (xDeep) Black is extremely easy to read, a compact unit but with large numbers. The bottom timer was much less expensive, but even the EANx model is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than a Petrel. It was well worth it for me. I've had it for over a year and love it.

GENZ.pl - BLACK EANx Nitrox dive computer; OLED multi gas computer;

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom