What would you use this pole spear for in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got a speargun, but have never speared a fish before. I've also had this old pole spear in the garage for years that I got from a friend and never used. I want to get a new band for it and maybe put it to use as I learn how to hunt. The shaft measures about 5 feet, and about 5'10" total length.

1. What size band would you recommend? I'm seeing 24"-30" should work?
2. What kind of fish would you target with this? Seems a little excessive with the tri-tip.
3. Do you guys run a line to the band or just freeshaft it? This would be primarily used for SCUBA, until I learn how to freedive haha

Not in Florida, but weed one a lot in the kelp beds of NorCal.

1. It's been a while, I used one that at full stretch my hand gripped about 3/4 or so down the shaft on the long pole, had a shorter one and held it just behind the tip for hunting in kelp. Where the heel of the hand rests I put a few turns of tape to keep my hand from slipping while holding.
2. Small fish, the paralyzer tip doesn't work well on larger fish, I go to about 16", technique counts.
3. Just keep ahold of the band, it won't go far. You hook the band on your thumb to stretch the band, so when you let go of the shaft, keep the band hooked on your thumb. Sometimes when you miss it will get away.

Keep the tips sharp, missing around here means hitting rocks and banging up the tip. Put a piece of hose over the tip to prevent unwanted punctures, once it is sharp. I usually have the points seperated a bit more, but you can see how it works for you.

As far as using in local conditions, you have to talk to a Fla diver, I hear the Sharks there dislike one taking their dinner.

Good luck

1. What size band would you recommend? I'm seeing 24"-30" should work?
I’m not positive. I’d go to a LDS and look at pole spears about the same size, and get the same band.
2. What kind of fish would you target with this? Seems a little excessive with the tri-tip.
Lionfish, or flounder most likely. Technically, it would work for other fish, but the faster fish probably won’t let you get close enough.
3. Do you guys run a line to the band or just freeshaft it? This would be primarily used for SCUBA, until I learn how to freedive haha
I’ve never seen anyone attaching a line to a pole spear. Seems like it would be an entanglement hazard. As long as you target appropriate fish, you shouldn’t need to worry about losing it. Big amberjack or big grouper would not be appropriate.

Lion fish...although I used that feed fish to sharks with a different single tip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom