WHAT!! you didn't buy from me!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too many folks in this business as a hobby.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Four cranks are simply not worth the business. I'd rather concentrate on valued customers than cater to a crackpot with a persecution complex.

They seem to be more interrested in satisfying themselves rather than customers. Too bad. I believe everyone, except maybe manufacturers, would benefit from good business practices at the retail level.

If a shop is really getting on you b/c you didn't buy an item there then yeah...I would be a little ruffled, but (maybe just my personality), I would tend to give them the reason why without the diatribe and the soapbox about the value of a customer.

I think people are talking about a somewhat bigger issue - one which has been re-hashed on this board a number of times. The question essentially is "how do you value you LDS?"

People obviously subscribe to different points of view re: their LDS. From my perspective, when I buy something from the LDS, I am not only purchasing a piece of gear, but I am also investing in a relationship with a shop, their instructors, their experience, and their advice. Can the cost/benefit of purchasing an item through the LDS vs. online or somewhere else always be quantified in terms of the money saved? I don't think so.

Have I overpaid on items at my LDS? Yep. Have I knowingly done it? Yep. Has that value I've overpaid come back to me in free fills, free rentals, free boat dives, etc? I'm sure it has...

Again, just a decidedly different way of thinking about what you "get" when you purchase from the LDS.

Do I think that the guy at the LDS is going to walk away from someone trying to ranting and raving about the "value of a customer" to come help a customer like me? Probably. Is that right? Don't know and quite honestly, don't care.

Matt

sdexcalibur - I obviously don't know where you went, but if you want a recommendation for a shop feel free to PM me. Actually, the guy who knows the lay of the land (in erms of dive shops) in the South Shore probably the best is MSilvia.

Good points King Kong Matt,

As you say, different people will value different aspects of their relationship with an LDS, much of which has been thoroughly discussed here before, as you mentioned.

But one thing that continually comes across in many of these posts, such as the first one in this thread, points to a lack of business acumen on the part of many LDS's. All businesses have their preffered customers, but a good business person will value all customers and treat them accordingly. Unlike the blame the customer, and the customer owes me attitude, that apparently a fair number of shops engage in.

Scuba once bubbled...
Good points King Kong Matt,

As you say, different people will value different aspects of their relationship with an LDS, much of which has been thoroughly discussed here before, as you mentioned.

But one thing that continually comes across in many of these posts, such as the first one in this thread, points to a lack of business acumen on the part of many LDS's. All businesses have their preffered customers, but a good business person will value all customers and treat them accordingly. Unlike the blame the customer, and the customer owes me attitude, that apparently a fair number of shops engage in.

I mostly agree. If a shop is giving you a hard time about not purchasing something there, you probably need to find a different shop...that would be an indication to me that the shop doesn't recognize the relationship as being more important then any single purchase.

As to whether "smart" business people treat (or should treat) all customers equally, I will respectfully disagree...I think thats the way it should be in theory, but as a shop owner, I am always going to commit more resources to the people who commit to me.

Some of the posters to this thread are almost savage in their approach to the LDS..."I owe you nothing, you owe me everything and s*rew you if you don't like it...you'll die at the hands of the online dive shop". That very well might be true, but if the real attitude of these people as they walk in to a shop reflects even 1/10 of that sentiment, is it any real shocker that they get less than optimal service?

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

People obviously subscribe to different points of view re: their LDS. From my perspective, when I buy something from the LDS, I am not only purchasing a piece of gear, but I am also investing in a relationship with a shop, their instructors, their experience, and their advice. Can the cost/benefit of purchasing an item through the LDS vs. online or somewhere else always be quantified in terms of the money saved? I don't think so.

Have I overpaid on items at my LDS? Yep. Have I knowingly done it? Yep. Has that value I've overpaid come back to me in free fills, free rentals, free boat dives, etc? I'm sure it has...

Again, just a decidedly different way of thinking about what you "get" when you purchase from the LDS.

Matt

There is "money" and there is "value." Building a mutually respectful relationship with your LDS usually pays off in spades. If this relationship turns disfunctional, by all means quietly walk away. No need for "the talk" just "the walk."

That being said, every retailer knows about the " bad customer", and I think we witnessed one on this thread. I'm guessing he gets his kicks bullying the Blockbuster kids as well.

rgds: jbm

Don't know if this will help or not, but it's certainly something to think about.

In the college of business it is taught that:
80% of your revenues are generated from 20% of your customers

I wish I could give you more information on studies, etc. (which I might be able to locate from some of my general business classes). But either way, a repeat customer is very important in the world of business. It's much harder to hook a person off the street that someone who's already done business with you. I could go on and on about this...but...:snooze:

Either the LDS will have to evolve (which it looks like they're doing by establishing a relationship with their customers - something not easy to do with an internet business - and among other things) or they will dissolve.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Either the LDS will have to evolve (which it looks like they're doing by establishing a relationship with their customers - something not easy to do with an internet business - and among other things) or they will dissolve.

I think most of us would agree with the general thought you've expressed above - the question which I think separates the two types of people who have posted to this thread is "what constitutes evolution?".

There are some that would (I obviously don't want to speak for them so take this for the generality that it is) suggest that evolution almost exclusively means providing a pricing model that is competitive with "alternative" institutions like online shops.

Again, while I think price differential is a factor, it's not the only factor (as I have stated above)...in my mind, the LDS can become more customer focused...can evolve, without focusing 100% of its energy on customers it will ALWAYS lose to online sales anyways.

Theres so much less to pay for when you're running an internet business (that's why you see offers for Yahoo and E-bay stores all over the place).

The old brick-and-mortar idea is going to be harder to manage with this new age. Remember the 4 P's of the marketing mix:
Price, Product, Promotion, and Place (Distribution)

The LDS will have to find their avenue to compete (and they surely won't win in price). I completely agree with you King Kong Matt. 100% for customers!

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
But either way, a repeat customer is very important in the world of business. It's much harder to hook a person off the street that someone who's already done business with you.

Aah, obviously a business student there, Dr. Jay.

One of my locals is offering free air fills to all Melbourne (Aus, not FL) residents in a bid to gain repeat business to existing customers, and draw new business from divers who may frequent other shops.

Hi Froop:

Froop? What does it..??... never mind.

On a similar note. We have a LDS that pre-sells air fills. Each fill is $5, or you can buy a 10 fill card for $20. You have to come back for the air!! Who can beat $2. per fill? Are they making anything on the air? No way!! But as long as you're there? Oh, I also need.....and...., and. Oh and one of those also.

They are also very good "people" people. They have nothing to fear from the OLS (On-Line Stores).

Hey, am I the first to coin OLS?:boom:

Back
Top Bottom