Whatever happened to Hogarth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Reading through several posts from enthusiastic new and newish technical divers, one reads a lot of references to DIR and GUE methods and practices. But few or no references to the Hogathian philosophy of diving and equipment configuration. I'm not sure if this is a studied rejection of DIR's genesis, simple lack of knowledge or excellent branding on JJ's part!

I wonder if anyone can tell me -- prefer if it were someone with first-hand knowledge and some dive history -- in what ways DIR differs from Hogathian and why the divergence. I am familiar with the principles of both DIR and Hogarth and am not looking for a diatribe either for or against either one. This is not intended as a put down and I am not trying to compare the two related philosophies. I am truly interested in your opinions.

I am sure this topic has been raised before but a basic search did not turn it up and I apologise if it's stirring up already disturbed waters... well, not really. :eek:ut:

Doppler

I think he's a prison guard in N. Florida:):)

Waterlover once bubbled...
I think he's a prison guard in N. Florida:):)

Yeah... it's a tough room but sometimes you just gotta stand there an'take it!

Made me laugh man... :)

I'm not a historian and I don't know these folks personally but other folks on the board do. However the basic equipment configuration employeed by DIR is the Hogarthian configuration. Namely, plate/wing, manifolded doubles and breathing from the long hose with the alternate bungied aroung the neck.

The configuration is refered to as Hogarthian in the IANTD text and JJ wrote the section that describes it. I believe JJ and the others still use the term and I think you'll find mention of it in GUE literature also.

You are right in that some appear not to know that there are many who use the Hogarthian configuration and it has nothing to do with DIR, GUE or the WKPP and in fact learned it in IANTD, TDI, NACD or NSS-CDS classes. At least on the net a bp/wing and long hose have become strongly associated with DIR. I find it difficult to believe that the divers who don't know this are "tech" divers at all, new or old.

William Hogarth Main is still around and diving. I'm sure some on the board like MHK, SLJ, Ckickdiver and others can add to this and no doubt know him personally.

a Doppler controversy.

Actually, I had it hammered into me that DIR was Hogarthian evolved into a more holistic approach.

Unfortunately, alot of folks took that to mean that Hogarthian was "beyond the pale" and dead as a movement.

I think alot of it is JJ's and GIs marketing and sales skills. It's happened before.
Steve Jobs "borrowed" a little used concept from IBM called a Graphic User Interface and renamed them "windows" for his MAC OS. Microsoft promptly swiped that, renamed it "Windows" and created a near monopoly.

As for me personally, I still tell folks I'm Hogarthian. I use evil things like OMS wings and I backplate mount my argon. But I do believe that the emphasis on fitness, careful dive planning, standardized mixes, etc have made diving safer and more fun for those of us who dive on that level. So, I guess Hogarthian is a stepping stone to DIR.

Interestingly, about a year ago, much to GI's chagrin, Andrew G. came up with a way to backplate mount an argon bottle, with JJ's blessing. So DIR is still evolving.

"everything old is new again"

Later, buddy
Brock

Brock,

I thought Xerox had a GUI first and didn't do anything with it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Brock,

I thought Xerox had a GUI first and didn't do anything with it.

Correct... circa 1970... and also the mouse and Ethernet and first email exchange between computers.....

Yes, that R&D "Black Ops" groups was definitely a bunch of visionaries... but obviously unrecognized by their parent company...

but a kinder, gentler niche! :tease:

I have always referred to my BP/Wings as a modified Hogarthian rig and NOT as a DIR set-up. I like "Wild Bill Hogarth's" attitude and approach. It's one I can live with.

Bill "Hogarth" Main is alive and well and living in N. Florida.

He developed the Hogarthian system through many tests. It became well known in the cave group and some wreck groups. Now, everybody thinks it revolutionary. Funny how that works.

Waterlover is correct!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom