What's a good step-up from GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you actually want focus? Zoom? Then dump the GoPro - even with better lights. If you're going to go that route first, buy two lights with at least 90 degree beam patterns - since your GoPro shoots 170 degrees so you'll see a lot of dark shadows if you don't.

Smart money seems to be in housed mirror-less cameras now in the prosumer video space - a lot of them shoot in 4K video resolution. The housings will be larger compared to the GoPro but it should be easy to clip them off. I'm not up on the new cameras but you can't go wrong with a Sony alpha series camera if you can afford one.

Invest in good folding light arms/clamps like the ULCS system - when folded they're pretty compact but extended give you better positioning options. Cuts down on the backscatter when the lights are off-axis to the lens.

Take the time to contact Jack Connick at Optical Ocean Sales or someone at Mozaik - or anybody at Backscatter.My buddy buys most of his video gear from Reef Photo in Fl.

No offense but if you really want to make a substantial improvement in your video - Stuartv's suggestion is the only one to consider in this thread currently. Notice the beam angle on his lights - 120° Although I currently don't house one, I've liked/used Olympus OM-series cameras for decades.

Thanks! When you say focus, my understanding is that very few non-dedicated camcorders do good dynamic video focus. I've read a review recently where this was a major pro for the camera reviewed, but can't remember what the model was. I'm afraid a mirror-less camera not good at this will actually do worse than a GoPro due to focus hunting. Also interesting with 120* video lights advice, as the one I've looked at had "only" 60*.

I think the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II has been getting really good reviews for it's focus tracking, which I think it also does during video recording. But, that camera is relatively new and not a small step up. $2000 for the body alone. It is my current object of extreme desire. But, it will be a year or two (or more) before I manage to score one used, for cheap, I'm sure. :)

But, if you want to get focus "as good as a GoPro", you can always use some manual options - set the aperture to a fixed f/11 or so and set the focus to somewhere near infinity...

That beam angle observation was a good one. Most video lights that I've seen have at least a 90 degree beam. 90 - 120 is pretty normal. You can find specs, but the GoPro has (I think) 3 field of view settings - Wide, Medium, and Narrow. I think the narrowest is still something like 90 degrees. So, a 60 degree beam on a video light is definitely going to have some real disadvantages. Especially underwater where it is pretty typical to use a wide angle lens for anything except very close up/macro work.

Thanks again! The 60* was coming from my wish to combine the need for a new main spot light with a video light, with fx something like the L&M Sola Dive 2500 S/F :) My fantasy was a Goodman handle with this on a short arm, plus a GoPro/SonyX-3000/mirror-less-thingy

The reg mounts are a thorny issue at the moment as there’s is concern they will obstruct the purge cover in an OOG event. Take a good look before getting one.
Trust me you'd never see me using one for several reasons. Safety first and foremost but it kinda eliminates the selfie view as well as looking around corners and in holes without sticking your head in every crack and crevasse you find. Also I think that there would be added jaw fatigue having a camera bouncing around levered off your reg. Also you can't see the screen to check your view or see the status of your camera. Give me a tray with lights and handles any day!

very interesting duscussion lots of good info. thanks

I can confirm good wideangle lights are boosting your videoquality either gopro or other cameras

Arneu,
I'm just noticing this post and perhaps am late to the discussions; anyway, I've taken a look at your video on OneDrive and found it to be good. I liked it.

From your post and video sample, I can see you want to up your game, and would suggest at this time you consider a few things.

I'm putting a little disclosure here, I don't know you, and only want to provide constructive feedback based on the very little information I've captured from your post. Please don't take anything personal. Ok, so here it goes....

Without knowing what model of GoPro you have, or setting you prefer to use when rolling video, nor what computer software you are using to process your footage, I would suggest sticking to your current setup; but elevating it with video light(s) capable of producing a wide beam 120 degrees- preferably LEDs, consider getting 2, and mount your equipment on a tray. This will help you stabilize your shots.

To fasten your lights, use underwater photography clamps and arms. Many manufacturers out there to choose from. Ultralight makes excellent products. Welcome to Ultralight Control Systems!

GoPro has superb video quality, it's incredibly good. There are many TV shows that capture HD footage out of GoPro's, so don't let the size and cost make you think that there are way better video cameras that once you invest, will automatically up your game.

A "better" camera won't improve your video. It's true that there are setups out there that can capture more detail, but it's all in the wrist... in addition, underwater photography and videography is a totally different discipline, for which commercial cameras are not always set up to accommodate. Light behaves differently underwater and capturing it gets more complicated regardless of topside camera make and model, when you dive.

Mastering filter selection and artificial lighting takes practice and reliable gear. I've been using GoPro cameras for several years now, given classes tailored for recreational divers and can honestly say that best results come when the camera is prepared and ready, battery is fully charged, memory is clean and ready to store data, setup is properly closed and ready to dive, the GoPro is held steady, right filters are in place, the diver has good bouyancy control, the filter has no trapped bubbles, lights are on, subjects cooperate and the diver is calm cool and collected, essentially enjoying the moment and having fun.

Backscatter makes really nice filters and even macro dippers for GoPro that will let you capture small critters with beautiful details, good contrast and with the right lights... exceptional colors. Try them out if you haven't yet. FLIP5 Pro Package with Three Filters & +15 MACROMATE Mini Lens

Post production is a big deal. What and how you present your finished video is very important. I've recommend several students to buy this book before they come to class: https://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Video-...680296&sr=8-1&keywords=video+that+doesnt+suck
The e-version of this book is very affordable, and the lessons it contains will up anyone's game.

Editing tools are equally important. I'm biased and like using Final Cut Pro X, it's powerful and simple to use. GoPro's software is very good too, but won't get you where Final Cut Pro X will. You should be able to adjust white balance and add color corrections to your videos, and should expect better ranges and performance from capturing original footage using higher resolution and frame rates, as well as by prosessing it with robust software. But setting your camera right before you record the images is where its at.

Keep your original videos and processed ones on an external drive, that will free your computer's internal hard drive, keeping you system free of clutter, and will perform much faster. You may already be doing this.

There you have it, hope this helps. As far as equipment is concerned, considering you mention having a good budget for this, there are great housings made by Hugyfot. For the Hero5, check out this link: Hugyfot - Vision Hero 5

For the Hero3,3+ and 4, you may want to consider: Hugyfot - GoPro Pro+

My wife and I travel and enjoy shooting videos with our GoPro's housed in Hugyfot. I also carry an SLR for still photography, but then, it's a totally different discipline and when I'm rolling video, I only carry the GoPro. When taking stills, it's only the SLR.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Ricardo

Starting to research equipment is dangerous for the wallet :) But after diving with GoPro and no video light (just small general backup light) for a while, and trying to make videos out of it, I'm pretty sure I want to take the next step on my scuba video journey. Here is an example (but I also often dive in more difficult visibility/light conditions than this).

I started looking for better video lights, but now I'm questioning the GoPro as well. My issues with the GoPro are (besides lights) first and foremost white balance (even with Flip filters), focus, low light performance (Hero3+ Black) and then image quality.

My equipment preference in general is 'less is more' - as minimal, tight and low profile as possible. And possible to buckle everything up, on the harness or arm. GoPro is a good fit for this, but I fear the large SLR/Camcorder trays with huge house and double long arm video lights. Budget is less concern than this actually.

So, any recommendations on what to look for as a possible step-up that can make a difference? Someone strongly recommended the new mirror-less cameras. And many people seem to say dual lights are more or less mandatory. So, is it a pipe dream to keep this compact?

All advice and opinions greatly appreciated!

Are you color correcting your footage in editing ? If not, you definitely should. The improvement might give you the improvement you are looking for without having to upgrade cameras.

Lights will definitely improve your footage, but you should be color correcting in editing regardless.

If you really want a new camera, in between a Gopro and a mirrorless is a good fixed lens compact camera from Sony or Panasonic. Both make very good compact cameras with proven track records in underwater video.

Here is a video shot with 5 yr. old Panasonic LX7 compact camera. 99% manual white balance with a filter, minor color correcting in editing. I am sure Gopro's have improved since the Hero 3, but so have compact cameras since the LX7.

Arneu,
I'm just noticing this post and perhaps am late to the discussions; anyway, I've taken a look at your video on OneDrive and found it to be good. I liked it.

From your post and video sample, I can see you want to up your game, and would suggest at this time you consider a few things.

I'm putting a little disclosure here, I don't know you, and only want to provide constructive feedback based on the very little information I've captured from your post. Please don't take anything personal. Ok, so here it goes....

Without knowing what model of GoPro you have, or setting you prefer to use when rolling video, nor what computer software you are using to process your footage, I would suggest sticking to your current setup; but elevating it with video light(s) capable of producing a wide beam 120 degrees- preferably LEDs, consider getting 2, and mount your equipment on a tray. This will help you stabilize your shots.

To fasten your lights, use underwater photography clamps and arms. Many manufacturers out there to choose from. Ultralight makes excellent products. Welcome to Ultralight Control Systems!

GoPro has superb video quality, it's incredibly good. There are many TV shows that capture HD footage out of GoPro's, so don't let the size and cost make you think that there are way better video cameras that once you invest, will automatically up your game.

A "better" camera won't improve your video. It's true that there are setups out there that can capture more detail, but it's all in the wrist... in addition, underwater photography and videography is a totally different discipline, for which commercial cameras are not always set up to accommodate. Light behaves differently underwater and capturing it gets more complicated regardless of topside camera make and model, when you dive.

Mastering filter selection and artificial lighting takes practice and reliable gear. I've been using GoPro cameras for several years now, given classes tailored for recreational divers and can honestly say that best results come when the camera is prepared and ready, battery is fully charged, memory is clean and ready to store data, setup is properly closed and ready to dive, the GoPro is held steady, right filters are in place, the diver has good bouyancy control, the filter has no trapped bubbles, lights are on, subjects cooperate and the diver is calm cool and collected, essentially enjoying the moment and having fun.

Backscatter makes really nice filters and even macro dippers for GoPro that will let you capture small critters with beautiful details, good contrast and with the right lights... exceptional colors. Try them out if you haven't yet. FLIP5 Pro Package with Three Filters & +15 MACROMATE Mini Lens

Post production is a big deal. What and how you present your finished video is very important. I've recommend several students to buy this book before they come to class: https://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Video-...680296&sr=8-1&keywords=video+that+doesnt+suck
The e-version of this book is very affordable, and the lessons it contains will up anyone's game.

Editing tools are equally important. I'm biased and like using Final Cut Pro X, it's powerful and simple to use. GoPro's software is very good too, but won't get you where Final Cut Pro X will. You should be able to adjust white balance and add color corrections to your videos, and should expect better ranges and performance from capturing original footage using higher resolution and frame rates, as well as by prosessing it with robust software. But setting your camera right before you record the images is where its at.

Keep your original videos and processed ones on an external drive, that will free your computer's internal hard drive, keeping you system free of clutter, and will perform much faster. You may already be doing this.

There you have it, hope this helps. As far as equipment is concerned, considering you mention having a good budget for this, there are great housings made by Hugyfot. For the Hero5, check out this link: Hugyfot - Vision Hero 5

For the Hero3,3+ and 4, you may want to consider: Hugyfot - GoPro Pro+

My wife and I travel and enjoy shooting videos with our GoPro's housed in Hugyfot. I also carry an SLR for still photography, but then, it's a totally different discipline and when I'm rolling video, I only carry the GoPro. When taking stills, it's only the SLR.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Ricardo

Thanks a lot, much appreciated! From yours and others advice it seems that tray with dual lights on arms is the way I need to go, that the quest for better video can't be combined with the compactness of equipment I usually prefer.

One question to you and others on this, do you have a way of attaching the tray setup to yourself (fx to harness w/bolt snaps) so you can free up your arms for parts of the dive, boat entry etc? And are your tray setups buoyancy neutral? (if negative I assume there is a risk of losing it)

I have a Flip filter, but just one (Dive) for now, was planning the macro lens next. Was unsure how important additional red filters (shallow/deep) was, vs. post production correction. Also, do you use the filters when you use lights?

@ronscuba too: With the software I have used (Vegas 13) I have found it challenging to get the right color correction in post, but I'm just trying out the free trial version of Power Director 15 which seems better/easier for this (and in general). I was thinking that I perhaps should start having something white/light grey with me and include in shots, to have something to white balance correct from in post.

One last question if I may, why are you using 3rd party housings for the Gopro, what advantages does that give you?

Last edited:
Arneu,
There are several options. In general, GoPro set ups are relatively light. You can clip the set up to a d-ring on your BC, free your hands for a while, then retreave as conditions allow.

You can trim buoyancy with the Hugyfot systems to be neutral, you can let go and it will just sit in front of you, provided current conditions allow. With practice and time, you become more comfortable with the camera, and won't feel the need to teacher it to you.

I usually clip it on to a d-ring to free up hands towards the end of a dive if I need to launch a surface marker and tend to the line on assent. After that, just hand the camera back to crew when reboarding a boat if conditions allow. There have been rough weather conditions in which we just get back onboard with the video system clipped onto our BCs.

I use filters all the time, except when shooting macro. Then, it's just artificial light. You can adjust, or should be able to correct colors in post production, with some limitations, but good enough to enhance your footage.

As far as the Hugyfot systems, they are built like a tank. They are solid, reliable, and give you hours or recording time, awesome buoyancy control, superb filters and macro lens too, plus a large display screen so you can actually see what your doing and what's being captured in the field of view.
Cheers.
Ricardo

Back
Top Bottom