What's diving like around Eureka?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianw2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There's what appears to be a terrific job opportunity with a company up in Eureka.

So...what's diving like around Eureka?

Where are the dive shops? Places for fills?

Are there any boats like there are in Southern California?

What's the shore diving like?

Is the diving all dry suit diving or is there a season of thick neoprene?

Thanks in advance to any info you can spare!:D

Ian

Well the diving can be fantastic but usually isn't. I haven't been there this year so I don't know what shops service the area but you'll find one or two. Don't know of any dive boats, I always used my own. If you go, one of the best places to dive is the South Jettie. Don't do it alone or without a dive buddy that's experienced with the South Jettie. You have to dive it with the tides. Get the timing down and it's like diving a lake. Miss the timing and it's like flying a jet in 3' visibility around boulders and cement Dolos. With all that said after more that 3000 forgetable dives and a few I'll never forget the Jettie is in the never forget pile. Not all my dives there were unforgetable but a few were fantastic. I get along just fine in a 7mil. The Jettie is easily dove from shore no boat needed.

I live in arcata, (6 miles north of eureka). All the diving ive done is in Fort Bragg. There is a dive shop in arcata that really isnt that great. not very good brands and the store is more of a helper store to the real store in Crecent City.

Pro-sport center in Eureka does refills, annual vis inspections, and I believe hydro-stat testing. They also carry basic dive equipment there as well (basic outfitting). I've heard of diving the S. Jetty, but I have not done it, I'm wary due to the currents. I plan on diving Trinidad Head in the very near future (as soon as ENT doc clears me). I know vis is an issue, but it's as sheltered as it gets up here. I need to drop by HSU's marine lab (in Trinidad) and get the scoop. I know they dive there.

The Arcata store (Pacfic quest dive center) is a satellite store for the main store in CC. Refills are done there, but depending on the owner's schedule, he usually only makes it down once a week to Arcata from CC.

lots of sharks in the area big ones

Yup. No recent sightings that i've heard of. Lady surfer got nudged last year at Moonstone beach. They also had a GW wash up at Centerville beach near the mouth of the Eel River last year. They think it got hit by a powerboat. If I can find the link I'll post the info on an Orca chasing a seal on to a beach near Trinidad. Made the local paper couple of months ago.

There are sharks in the ocean?

The reefs offshore are known for being sharky. Kawika was attempting to dive Blunts Reef when he disappeared. Not sure anyone knows why he was out there. Maybe to photograph sharks or trying to locate the ship wreck of the SS Alaska.

Either way sharks are not the biggest concern in the ocean. I would worry more about the oceans current.

We dive the Fort Bragg area more, and the diving is pretty good there. I would imagine in the Eureka area there are some good spots. I know there are a couple of ship wrecks worth hitting up.

The reefs offshore are known for being sharky. Kawika was attempting to dive Blunts Reef when he disappeared. Not sure anyone knows why he was out there. Maybe to photograph sharks or trying to locate the ship wreck of the SS Alaska.

Kawika liked to dive the spots others didn't. Farallones, Arena Rock, Blunts Reef, and
a couple more. I doubt he was wreck chasing, and he certainly wasn't trying to
photograph sharks (his camera was on the boat).

Back
Top Bottom