What's Done This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fecal Pile-The Oceans bottom is made up of it..Sand is full of it..Fish and Sea Life Make it everyday..

So what DID make those beautiful beaches???

NetDoc:
So what DID make those beautiful beaches???
Well, there's sand, and then there's sand... the calcium based sands typical of coral reef areas are largely fish poop. But the snow white sands of Lower Alabama are quartz, ground up not by parrotfish but by geologic forces. Yellow/orange sands are likewise usually quartz grains broken off by grinding of rocks together through the ages. Black sands are ususally ground up volcanic rock but can be other stuff too. In my travels one of the things that surprised me was the variety of texture and materials that ended up as beach sand. Figuring out how it got there and where it came from is fun.
Rick

Rick, I used to think that ALL sand was geoogically produced... a parrot fish destroyed my theory with one single poop. But Archaman said
Many of the older texts still tout parrotfishes as the "creator" of those sparkling carbonate beaches found in the tropics. Eventually the phycologists knocked this notion over the head... though it keeps popping up on semi-science sources.
and it is THIS statement that has me puzzled, and I would love to hear his elucidation before the "sparkling carbonate" material hits the sea fan.

i think archman is referring to the fact that while parrotfish contribute to the sand
that ends up at the beach, geological action (wave, wind, etc.) is really the main
producer of sand by breaking rocks up into tiny grains of the stuff we love to track
into our cars and hotel rooms and wash out of our ... hair.

Pretty funny that you caught him in the act Stone!

Well this has been educational, learning how we get different kinds of sand. So where did the sand on SE Texas come from? Too bad it makes the water so brown. :(

got4boyz:
So where did the sand on SE Texas come from? Too bad it makes the water so brown. :(

Dogfish?

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom