What's going on with SUUNTO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny how I find it extremely annoying to CHARGE my OSTC, it does take me something like 1 minute to locate a charger, unscrew the plug, and plug it in. Also I've been forced to do this twice after purchasing the used computer. Some 50 dives ago:)

I’ve never heard anyone enthusiastic about their Suunto DC. It’s disappointing Suunto hasn’t had a better entry into the diving market. I’ve used their compass products for over 30 years and have always been very satisfied.

I’ve never heard anyone enthusiastic about their Suunto DC. It’s disappointing Suunto hasn’t had a better entry into the diving market. I’ve used their compass products for over 30 years and have always been very satisfied.

that is because you are listening on SB. I have a Zoop, which is fine, and had a Helo2 which was excellent but lost by a student. I would buy another Helo2 if they still made them. The D5 looks like the sensible choice these days,

dozens of people in my club are perfectly happy with Suunto.

I like my Suunto Eon Core a bunch. I just wish that Suunto would come out with firmware for different dive models (VPM, Buhlman) etc.

I also would like them to upgrade via firmware that it doesn’t lock out for 48 hours.

(I’ve never had a lockout) but can see how you could when diving it. It gets mad and starts beeping and carrying on and telling you, hey dummy get back down and do your stop. Gives you plenty of time to do so as well. So if you bust a stop your locked out.

Other than that I am ok with my core.

I did however buy a Perdix ai and will be diving it in the Grand Cayman island in January so there’s that ......

Don't ask me how I know... I don't need the Suunto authorities investigating me... and risk them publicly shaming me by adding my name to the list of Suunto computer owners who risked the fate of humanity by changing their own battery.

But it is physically possible to change your own D6i battery.

You need the correct little screwdriver (I know of one that costs about $7... it's a nice one too) and a battery kit (readily available for between $5 and $10). The process is something like: unscrew two screws, carefully remove back, carefully remove oring and battery, carefully replace oring and battery, carefully replace back and two screws. Or so I've heard.

Turnaround time (I've heard! All this is hearsay, I admit to nothing!) is 5 to 10 minutes.

That is not true. It takes longer because I keep dropping the little f'ing screws. Make sure you do it on a surface where you can find the screws when you keep dropping them

Hear me now :). I'll be the first for you, try to be as enthusiastic as possible :bounce: :yeahbaby: :drunks:

Love my old D4. It's on its 4th battery (always changed my own...) and it's been my die hard buddy for 11 years. The only time it's even barely complained was to tell me it's battery was getting low. And even then it would still last a few months before I had to change it.

My Zoop and D6, as well as the other two Zoops, D4 and D6 that my son and I have between us have behaved similarly.

(I’ve never had a lockout) but can see how you could when diving it.

I believe (from your previous posts) you are confused with the operation of the Eon

Safety stops, and Deep stops are not mandatory (I don't even have deep stop enabled)

On a safety stop, if you have a additional stop violation (where it goes red perhaps because of fast ascents) this is also not mandatory. i.e. you can skip the stop. the computer may bleep, but it won't lock you out

The ONLY way to get a lock out on an Eon, is to bust through your DECO ceiling for 3 mins.

I have 800, some quite aggressive dives (most in a repetitive series) on my Eon. Never once has it locked out

I did however buy a Perdix ai and will be diving it in the Grand Cayman island in January

I've been running a Perdix Ai side by side with my Eon (Steel) for roughly 200 dives. With teh Perdix set to 45/95, and the Eon at P-2 the Perdix is still the most conservative computer, whether that be the first dive, or dive 36 of a repetitive series.

There are a couple of data outputs I like on the Perdix, and which I use during the dive, but generally its just a backup

For the record, Suunto will only offer Buhlmann on the Eon steel (not the core) but both will get Fused RGBM 2 (as used by the D5) at the next firmware issue (Q2 2020?)

I'll be personally interested to see what if any the differences are between Buhlmann on both, as well as seeing how much different RGBM2 is

But at the end of the day computers just advise, they are no magic bullet for diving conservatively with in you particular dive parameters

I believe (from your previous posts) you are confused with the operation of the Eon

Safety stops, and Deep stops are not mandatory (I don't even have deep stop enabled)

On a safety stop, if you have a additional stop violation (where it goes red perhaps because of fast ascents) this is also not mandatory. i.e. you can skip the stop. the computer may bleep, but it won't lock you out

The ONLY way to get a lock out on an Eon, is to bust through your DECO ceiling for 3 mins.

I have 800, some quite aggressive dives (most in a repetitive series) on my Eon. Never once has it locked out

I've been running a Perdix Ai side by side with my Eon (Steel) for roughly 200 dives. With teh Perdix set to 45/95, and the Eon at P-2 the Perdix is still the most conservative computer, whether that be the first dive, or dive 36 of a repetitive series.

There are a couple of data outputs I like on the Perdix, and which I use during the dive, but generally its just a backup

For the record, Suunto will only offer Buhlmann on the Eon steel (not the core) but both will get Fused RGBM 2 (as used by the D5) at the next firmware issue (Q2 2020?)

I'll be personally interested to see what if any the differences are between Buhlmann on both, as well as seeing how much different RGBM2 is

But at the end of the day computers just advise, they are no magic bullet for diving conservatively with in you particular dive parameters

I’m very familiar with how the eon core works. I never said the stops were mandatory. I did however have on my last dive deep stops turned on, as such when after diving down to depth and then start the ascent my core wanted me to stop as previously stated. Had I not met the obligation it would have locked out after reaching the surface. Again there is a count down timer and it lets you know to get back down and do your deco stop within 3 minutes. There were 3 stops from a depth of 106 feet.

Suunto was supposed to have had a firmware upgrade for the steel this year, now it’s 2020.

I’m very familiar with how the eon core works. I never said the stops were mandatory. I did however have on my last dive deep stops turned on, as such when after diving down to depth and then start the ascent my core wanted me to stop as previously stated. Had I not met the obligation it would have locked out after reaching the surface. Again there is a count down timer and it lets you know to get back down and do your deco stop within 3 minutes. There were 3 stops from a depth of 106 feet.

Suunto was supposed to have had a firmware upgrade for the steel this year, now it’s 2020.

We’re you actually in Deco OR were you following deep stops

Massively different things

If you think missing a deep stop will cause a lock out, I respectfully suggest you re-read the manual

It's funny how I find it extremely annoying to CHARGE my OSTC, it does take me something like 1 minute to locate a charger, unscrew the plug, and plug it in. Also I've been forced to do this twice after purchasing the used computer. Some 50 dives ago:)
I tried to buy an OSTC last year. Those guys at OSTC aren't interested in selling to Americans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom