What's in Your Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

required for me are analog depth gauge and tables due to not carrying a backup computer, so those are required. Spool and double enders because I don't want to run the risk of them trailing behind me. Usually I only have the left pocket and just throw tables in there, but right pocket comes up for deep wreck diving.
Yeah, *knock on wood* I've never had a spool unravel, but that may happen with time. My spool isn't particularly overstuffed, so the holes on the side aren't fighting to come off my double ender though. Again, at the intro level I've only ever deployed it for drills a few times.

I did have issue with my butt d-ring unweaving itself from the weight of the reels and spool, but I added one of the DGE webbing clamps and it is all better. I'm sure if I don't add a wrist slate I'll want a pocket to store backup planned deco info.

Yeah, *knock on wood* I've never had a spool unravel, but that may happen with time. My spool isn't particularly overstuffed, so the holes on the side aren't fighting to come off my double ender though. Again, at the intro level I've only ever deployed it for drills a few times.

I did have issue with my butt d-ring unweaving itself from the weight of the reels and spool, but I added one of the DGE webbing clamps and it is all better. I'm sure if I don't add a wrist slate I'll want a pocket to store backup planned deco info.

I shot a video a few years back to demo how easily double enders can come off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDMCeFyGKms&list=UUQvi5aJ1wVrNWnR84pkIuUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6V7wcXn2e8&list=UUQvi5aJ1wVrNWnR84pkIuUQ

James, you're certainly right that they're not hard to get unraveled. It happened to me once getting off a boat in MX. I sat awkwardly on my spool, and it fell off of me. VERY embarassing. I've since changed up how I handle spools. I'll try to post a picture tonight (if I'm smart enough to remember). It's basically a safety knot similar to double-wrapping a cookie or arrow in a cave. It keeps my spools from coming off. I haven't had an issue in quite a while diving them that way, and it's how Edd's whole crew has started doing it. They've got an obscene amount of hours in caves between them, and no failures to date (as far as I've heard) with the new method.

So you've had a safety reel come loose and dump line all over and you've had a spool come unclipped from your butt d ring. Hmm...

For something as important as a safety line is in cave diving, how does it make sense to carry it in a way that's apt to come loose or get lost? I 150-200ft safety spool in a pocket ain't goin nowheres unless you want it to.

James, you're certainly right that they're not hard to get unraveled. It happened to me once getting off a boat in MX. I sat awkwardly on my spool, and it fell off of me. VERY embarassing. I've since changed up how I handle spools. I'll try to post a picture tonight (if I'm smart enough to remember). It's basically a safety knot similar to double-wrapping a cookie or arrow in a cave. It keeps my spools from coming off. I haven't had an issue in quite a while diving them that way, and it's how Edd's whole crew has started doing it. They've got an obscene amount of hours in caves between them, and no failures to date (as far as I've heard) with the new method.
Were you able to figure it out?

I haven't had issues, and messed with my bolt snap/spool and it takes pretty specific motion to unclip, but I'm always looking to see what others are doing and have an evolving rig though.

So you've had a safety reel come loose and dump line all over and you've had a spool come unclipped from your butt d ring. Hmm...

For something as important as a safety line is in cave diving, how does it make sense to carry it in a way that's apt to come loose or get lost? I 150-200ft safety spool in a pocket ain't goin nowheres unless you want it to.
AJ, I had it happen once with a spool and once with a reel. The spool was in ow and was because of me sitting on it on the boat. The reel was with the old style screw and I simply hadn't tightened it properly after my drills were done.....Also, I think Edd was the ACTUAL cause for that. Regardless, it's been over a year since it happened and I've certainly fixed it on both.

As for remembering:I know how I do it, I just forgot to take and post a photo of it

Did my full cave in February in Florida, my instructor had no issues with my choice for what equipment to stow and where. Right pocket had backup mask, wet notes, and 1 backup light. Left pocket had safety spool, 2nd backup light, and spare cookies/arrows I did not intend to use on the dive. Cookies/arrows I intended to use went on the light head. One quick note as you indicated that you planned on putting cookies on your light using bungee, I would highly recommend surgical tubing instead. Jump Spools were clipped of to the right door handle and primary reel to the left during the swim out (Sidemount). I would agree that it is possible for a spool to become unclipped, which is why the safety spool goes in the pocket. Others are clipped off for convenience. In the relatively rare event that a spool needed for a jump becomes unclipped and lost, the dive can be turned. Make sure you properly secure your reels and, I like to unclip and re-clip in the water during the gear check to ensure easy deployment when needed. Cutting tools were shears on the right waist, small knife on the left waist. Trilobytes on the right shoulder, and left wrist. I highly recommend these, doing blind line repairs was a breeze. I originally planned to mount backup lights DIR style, but found that I wasn't really happy that way in SM, I had no issues with deploying from the pockets when required.

I have zero interest in putting my tell in my pocket. It's way too big for that, and is too likely to feel uncomfortable if my tank hits it. In sidemount, safety tells are just not a good option in your pockets. if I were diving doubles, I may feel decently.

What's a tell?

---------- Post added August 13th, 2014 at 02:40 PM ----------

For people running lights in your pockets. Are these your 3rd and 4th backups?
Do you have failures enough that you worry about 3 other lights failing? Do you dive solo? I'm just trying to understand why people think it is necessary. With the exception of using relatively new lights I don't feel the need for more than the two strapped to my chest.

You can set the lights down in strategic locations to light a cave for photography. I don't keep any lights on the harness its-self. Two on the helmet, the can light head on a goodman handle mount. Extras in the pockets. It's not like they're in the way, or heavy enough to have an impact on weighting so why not. As for reels in there, again it's a matter of convenience. I could clip them off but they're easily accessed from a pocket that's there anyway. Keeps them out of the way yet readily available.

If spools are stored and carried properly, with the double ender through the loop in the line and not also through a hole in the spool there is very little chance of them unspooling during the dive. I have never had one unspool, when stored in this manner.

One quick note as you indicated that you planned on putting cookies on your light using bungee, I would highly recommend surgical tubing instead.

This will be embarrassing...

When I was still at the apprentice level, I got a brand new length of surgical tubing for my cookies and arrows and tied one end to a clip and put a knot in the other end. I then did a dive in which I had no need to use any of them. I was the last one in and the first one out. On the way out, I picked up all the cookies and arrows that had dropped off one by one while I was on the way in. It had not occurred to me what water pressure would do to the thickness of the hollow surgical tubing.

I use bungee now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom