What's in your scuba "go bag"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There is always something (or somethings) that I forget on a dive trip. It's different each time. Sometimes I'll skip bringing crème rinse because 'all hotels have crème rinse, right?" (scuba club Cozumel had a shampoo/crème rinse combo that was worthless - but I had brought my own, thank goodness). Or I'll forget floss (ick. So I have started filling up a bag that will have travel sizes of everything that I will ALWAYS need on a trip. The bag stays under the bathroom sink so I can add stuff as I think about it, but will be ready to grab for a trip. I don't have any more trips planned right now, but I had three this summer, and it would have been nice to just grab a bag that was ready with all that stuff. I keep all my gear hung up or in bags so it's easy to grab - but this will make it a little more streamlined. I'd love to know what you would add.

So far, some of the things that are in it are:

Deodorant
Razor
Shampoo
Crème Rinse (two - one for the boat and one for the room)
Comb
Hair elastics and barrettes
Waterproof mascara, eyeliner and eyebrow stuff, blush & spf lip gloss (don't scoff!)
Nail polish remover pads (easy to pack - I may not put on new polish, but I usually have some peeling off)
Acetominophen & ibuprophen
Antibiotic/analgesic cream (ladies, if you put that on your freshly shaved bikini line you're less likely to develop those red bumps)
Kaopectate
Dramamine
Sleeping pills - OTC - because you never know how much noise you'll encounter where you're going
Body wash
Face cream
Body cream
Tooth brush & tooth paste
Swim Ear
Swimsuit coverup or high necked rash guard

Tweezers
nail file board
bandaid
polysporin
nail clippers
hair bands
carabinor with the screw lock (room key)

Hair bands.
Migraine Tablets.
Razor
Manoi Oil

Sunscreen - still trying to find a good waterproof mineral one though so it won't sting my eyes
Solid shampoo & conditioner - these take up a lot less room in your bag than bottles do. Ethique here in NZ do some really good ones.
Hair ties - I like the Scunci no slip grip ones
Buff - cos it's the easiest thing to put over my hair après dive.
Long sleeve rash vest
Hat
Sunglasses
Something for seasickness - going to try the scopaderm patches
Water bottle & electrolyte sachets - diving and sun is a bad combination for dehydration - quite often end up giving the electrolyte sachets to someone else on board who needs them.

Some of these I've never heard of! Solid shampoo and conditioner sounds great - is there a brand you recommend I google? Never heard of electrolyte sachets either. Thanks!

I bring many of the items listed in the above posts. In addition, here are some other stuff I pack:

Market Spice Cinnamon-Orange tea bags (don't like the tea selection at the hotel)
STASH Ginger-Peach Green Tea bags
Cortisone 10
Small packets of Tide
Mirazyme Odor Eliminator
Candy
Prescription meds

Almost everything mentioned plus DEET (spray and cream) and Afterbite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got disgustingly sensitive, dry skin and attract bugs where no bugs are to be found with amazing allergic reactions to their bites. So, in no particular order what I'd put in:

The basics of toothbrush, deodorant, travel size toothpaste, and in travel size containers shampoo and conditioner (usually Unite moisturizing), olay ultra moisture body wash , St Ives blemish control face scrub, and Neutrogena naturals purifying cream cleanser.
Skin so Soft with Picaridin bug wipes if I expect to be outside
Benadryl spray (Cathy, if you use enough Afterbite, you burn off your skin. Ask me how I know...). Works in 10 seconds for at least 12 hours.
A cap of some sort to shade my face
Glasses case with sunglasses, lens cleaning cloth and a hair band (or 5, same brand as Nettie for me too) within.
Unite 7seconds condition detangle spray
All Good spf 33 sports sunscreen (doesn't come off til you scrub at it with a loofah, doesn't make my skin break out at all. found it at whole foods)
Andalou Naturals Resveratrol Q10 Night repair cream (most lotions burn my face, but not this one)
A small container of hand mixed shea butter + avacado and jojoba oil + cinnamon and tea tree essential oil to rub on cuticles or dry spots
Shea butter lip balm of some kind
A hair brush
A tin of Reed's crystallized ginger
Mixture of rubbing alcohol + few drops of glycerine for ear-beer in a small store-bought swimmer's ear container
ear plugs + benadryl + prescription sleep tablets (you understand if you're an insomniac)
tylenol, because my stomach won't stand for any other pain killers
prescription topical anti-inflammatory for my hands (carpal tunnel)
charcoal tablets in case of stomach upset
at least one big baggy lightweight shirt with sleeves so I don't have to incessantly apply sunscreen but can keep cool
dental floss and/or brush picks
nail file and/or clippers
prescription antihistamine nose spray because I'm allergic to everything (patanase is a non-steroid but also VILE tasting)
biotene dry mouth gel for my regs breathe really dry + i have dry mouth from aforementioned antihistamine
a small 'travel purse' to keep things like a room key in
a book
tums and/or prilosec. Don't want to re-taste that breakfast after you dive in..
Hydrocolloid adhesive bandages (especially good for over blisters)
Alcohol wipes for wounds or gross looking rental gear/anything
Satchel of non-latex gloves for washing dishes, wiping things down with bleach wipes, etc. (the sensitive skin thing)
Green Virgin soap nuts liquid for laundry. You don't need much, and it doesn't irritate sensitive skin (so far)
..and screw bringing razors. If you're close enough to be offended by body hair, you're too close!

All the pre mentioned stuff plus. I got a prescription from a Dive Doc for antibiotics. If I ever get scraped or get some sort of diving rash he said this would take care of it and it can be filled in nearly every country in the world. He said it is especially good for ear infections. I tuck that in my ditty bag along with the rest of the stuff.

Bars: I also like to pack shampoo bars. It allows me more room in my fluid/carry on bag. I have ordered some from Itsy, Lush has some great(pricey!) bars, but the one that works best for me is the J.R Liggett Coconut and Argan oil bar. I have purchased it at Whole Foods and Amazon. I also pack some of the Fels Naptha laundry bar, also at Whole Foods or Amazon. Using a steak knife I cut off 1/4-1/2 and leave the rest for another dive vacation. Hard core, utilitarian pine smell. Works great for soaking clothes and wetsuit.

Other stuff:
-Spare contact lenses and glasses. Uber neurotic about impaired vision.
-Garbage and grocery bags. Helps isolate the stinky/wet stuff on return trip
-Zip lock baggies. Keeps ants away from fruit, bread and chips.
-Night light. Useful for hallway or bathroom. Stubbed toe=major hissy fit.
-Tampons. Mother Nature seems to yield her wrath upon my vacation regardless of my cycle/schedule. While vacationing in Saba I woke up to her unwelcome surprise. I went to the only grocery store on the island. The feminine care products were ultra-super sized. Learned my lesson. If I don't need them, there is always somebody who does.
-Repel insecticide wipes. Individually wrapped and ordorless. The only product that prevents sand fleas and mosquitoes from feasting on me.
-A travel sized sample of perfume. Yes I know this is ridiculous and absurd. After being surrounded by swampy and offensive odors, my Chanel Mademoiselle provides a tremendous mood elevator:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom