Whats normal on a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are in a position to be at risk with too short a S.I. and elect to not do the 2nd dive, you just paid $100 for one dive. Well, there'd be no tip though.
On all the boats I've patronized it's been like, 1st dive to 80-90', hour or more S.I. while motoring to site no.2, probably a bit shallower dive.

If you are in a position to be at risk with too short a S.I. and elect to not do the 2nd dive, you just paid $100 for one dive. Well, there'd be no tip though.
On all the boats I've patronized it's been like, 1st dive to 80-90', hour or more S.I. while motoring to site no.2, probably a bit shallower dive.
That has been my expereince as well.

If I know a boat is looking at very short SI, I simply wouldn't patronise them in the first place (it makes sense to ask how they run things before you go). The boat operator can do what they want by way of short SI but I can do what I want by not using them in the first place.

I might dive like that (with a very short SI) but I would be very conservative WRT NDL, ascent rates and extended safety stop.

I might dive like that (with a very short SI) but I would be very conservative WRT NDL, ascent rates and extended safety stop.

Or you could just buy a $200 dive computer and follow its advice.

Or you could just buy a $200 dive computer and follow its advice.
I have a Perdix which i trust implicitly and even then I would be conservative esp with very short SI's as they are outwith the general scope of the algorithm (AFAIK no algorithm has been fully tested with repetetive dives and extremely short SI).

I have a Perdix which i trust implicitly and even then I would be conservative esp with very short SI's as they are outwith the general scope of the algorithm (AFAIK no algorithm has been fully tested with repetetive dives and extremely short SI).

The "algorithm" is not magic: gas loading is the function of time and pressure. You spend less time at sea level, you off-gas less. You off-gas less, you splash with higher residual gas loading. Accrued loading on top gets you to your M-value faster. The Computer Is Your Friend, Trust The Computer.

The "algorithm" is not magic: gas loading is the function of time and pressure. You spend less time at sea level, you off-gas less. You off-gas less, you splash with higher residual gas loading. Accrued loading on top gets you to your M-value faster. The Computer Is Your Friend, Trust The Computer.
But as is often quoted by decompression scientists - all algorithms are wrong but some are useful.

Bearing that in mind I will stick with my conservative strategy. You (and everyone else) are welcome to dive as agressively as you like.

I wouldn't bother getting back on the boat for a 10 minute SI

That has been my expereince as well.

If I know a boat is looking at very short SI, I simply wouldn't patronise them in the first place (it makes sense to ask how they run things before you go). The boat operator can do what they want by way of short SI but I can do what I want by not using them in the first place.

Agree. That is, if they are straight with you about things when you contact them beforehand. My one tropical dive week in Panama -- turned out there were two important things I asked about that proved to be less than true when I got there. Shore dives cost $50 with the DM but you weren't allowed to go solo. Wasn't told no solo. Wasn't even told of the fee. I did a couple with him and didn't pay said fee. As well, my shell collecting was questioned by the "resort" owner (the OP owner's wife), after I e mailed the daughter (who books) that this was my only reason for the trip. You do your best with that stuff I guess.

Back
Top Bottom