What's old is new again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJoe-TX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone.
I'm getting back in to diving after a move away from the west coast and a 19 year break to raise my kiddos. Now I'm located in North Texas where we have a lot of murky lakes and I'm ready to get wet. It's been like getting back together with an old flame - fun and exciting and, like riding a bike, everything came back (even the bad buoyancy lol). I'm new to lake diving but had about 25-30 ocean dives logged in So. Cal, Jamaica, and Hawaii.

Looking forward to the more technical difficulties I'll encounter in murky lake water and expanding my skillset. I picked up a set of new gear and was amazed at the improvements that have happened over the years. I'll be searching for dive buddies soon in the area to do local dives at Clear Springs Scuba Park, Athens Scuba Park, Lake Travis, and anywhere else I can get in.

Good luck and welcome back. It's funny how often I have a customer walk in with a, say 12 year old child and when I ask how long since you last dived, I inevitably get "12 years", or whatever the age of the child is. The cool thing is you have made yourself a new dive buddy!

For murky lakes I suggest you invest in a good compass, though some lakes, especially flooded quarries, tend to have a large metal content that screws with your compass, even digital ones.

The other thing I tend to advise those returning to diving after a long period is to pay attention to your physical fitness. Things aren't quit as easy for us as they used to be. Remember that most dive accidents resulting in death aren't dive accidents at all, but heart failure due to over exertion coupled with poor fitness. :eek: Other than that, have fun!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom