What's on Santa Rosa wall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

electrix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering it's reputation what is the compelling reason to dive there?

Considering it's reputation what is the compelling reason to dive there?

It's a beautiful dive site ... and I'm not sure what reputation you're talking about. Like a lot of walls, there's right and wrong times to dive it. Choose the wrong time and the current will turn your ass inside out and hand it back to you. That's not the wall's fault ... it's the diver's fault for not planning their dive more carefully ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If currents is a reputation, that alone is a reason to dive there, AT THE RIGHT TIMES. Nothing beats drifting along in a current, watching the beautiful Santa Rosa wall with a minimum of effort. However, as with ANY drift diving, you need to plan the dive accordingly.
Honestly though, the "reputation" i suspect you think of is as far as Ive seen a very recent one..

It really is a great dive site, that is well worth visiting if youre in the area..

It's OK, but there are Cozumel sites I like way better. Like most of them.

The video of the incident with the father and son, what I can see of the wall, is very bland looking to me.

The video of the incident with the father and son, what I can see of the wall, is very bland looking to me.

Santa Rosa Wall is first and foremost known for it's dramatic swim thrus, there are breaks in the wall where sand shoots form, places where you can from the wall to the top in a swim thru, very interesting topography, lots of over hangs, totally beautiful, lots of life to see, nurse sharks, free swimming big green morays, schools of fish, massive pairs of French Angels. I've dove it as a night dive before. Based on this supposed 'reputation' that would be suicidal wouldn't it? Towards the end you end up on the top on a large sandy stretch where you'll often find rays in the sand, farther over and there is a bunch of corral heads and canyons with chances to see nurse sharks, turtles, massive lobsters. I recall one dive a giant lobster was out walking around basically daring anybody to F with him, he was huge.

That video shows nothing of Santa Rosa. It's a great dive and I'd never shy away from diving it no matter what.

santarosa.jpg
2179235821_80a2be3094.jpg

santarosa2.jpg

santarosaswimthrough.jpg

grayangel.jpg

Cave_Sta_Rosa.jpg

One of the reasons to dive the Santa Rosa Wall on a bright sunny day is to experience the colors of the sea. Look away from the wall into the blue- at your depth, and below you. Even swim away from the wall a few kicks for a more intense experience. Really. It is indescribable.
DivemasterDennis

One of the reasons to dive the Santa Rosa Wall on a bright sunny day is to experience the colors of the sea. Look away from the wall into the blue- at your depth, and below you. Even swim away from the wall a few kicks for a more intense experience. Really. It is indescribable.
DivemasterDennis
One of my favorite dives. Whenever the DM asks where we want to go, I'll alway ask for Santa Rosa Wall.

Santa Rose is spectacular, one of my favorite dive sites.

Back
Top Bottom