What's the best light for the best value??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's great that technology is giving us options and forcing manufacturers to make better and more affordable equipment.

I had to change my old school way of thinking when it came to lights with filters. LED lights and filters can work together for certain shots. The Archon lights are a great value on paper. Qasar UW video shot with them and it looked pretty good. Time will tell if they hold up to regular use. Under $200 for a 1400 lumens makes them very tempting if you are in the market for new lights.

Consider looking into the I-torch lights. Reasonable price and high lumens if you look at the pro5. Customer service is excellent and Doug is great to work with. If you have a LDS that carries them take your time to check them out

The op wanted something that could also be used as dive light on night dives, all those products archon, i-torch, underwater kinetics are flood only if you go on a night dive with those you won't be able to spot a thing but the fish and the other divers will see you from a long distance
A flood light covers at best one meter 3 feet and that is not ideal to go spotting things

The op wanted something that could also be used as dive light on night dives, all those products archon, i-torch, underwater kinetics are flood only if you go on a night dive with those you won't be able to spot a thing but the fish and the other divers will see you from a long distance
A flood light covers at best one meter 3 feet and that is not ideal to go spotting things

True. I missed that. I am old school. I carry 2 lights on night dives. A small inexpensive light for spotting and my video lights which I only turn on when recording. I don't mind this setup as it also gives me a backup light in case one light fails.

Consider waiting to see the I-Torch Gen 1.3. You will have the option of both Red and White lighting and it will be a fully sealed housing. Looks like an awesome product coming hopefully in the next few months.

I just got a couple of the Cree 1800 lumen lights on EBay to try. $30 each. They are definitely bright, but they have a hot spot. I will put diffusers on them. There was a small problem with one of the lights, but the seller in China is very good. A little language barrier, but he followed up continuously to make sure I got what I needed.
You can get the batteries and charger on Amazon for about $15.
CREE XML XM L T6 LED 1800Lm Diving Flashlight Torch Waterproof 26650 | eBay

How did they work and hold up under water?

---------- Post added February 17th, 2014 at 10:25 AM ----------

Also, what type of diffuser did you use?

I have to put in my vote for the SOLA lights. Sure the initial cost is rather high, but these are completely sealed lights and if you get the Dive version, they double as a torch. I loved being able to forget about replacing batteries and gaskets. You can easily convert the lights from Locline video mounts to wristmount for night diving. They are compact and do not weight a lot. Customer service is top notch. I had a charger fry up on me overseas on my last day of diving (failed power converter). They issued me a replacement charger free of charge by the time I got back home. At the moment I have a dive 1200 and a video 2000 and I love these things!

Best light for the best value in the long run? SOLA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom