Whats the best to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpayne

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I figure I can get some help here and I'm sure that this has been asked before numberous times but here it goes. I went to my local dive shop today, to look into buying my mask, fins, and snorkle. The dive shop person on duty wasn't very helpfull they just sort of showed me a wall and said pick one out. There has to be more too it than that. I know some of it has to be personal preference, however there has to be a difference in make and model. Any help or recommendations will be appreciated. If it helps I don't my paying a bit more for better equipment. I mean were talking our life support system here.

Thanks
Robert Payne

Wow...what an open question.

At least you recognize a lot of it has to do with personal choice. Some like split fins and some dont. Some like purge masks and some dont. Some swear by bp and wings and some swear at bp and wings.

From your post, my first suggestion would be to find another dives shop. Dive equipment costs too much not to have any customer service. I'ld drive a long way for good customer service even if there was a dive shop right next door.

If you are new at this, most will recommend trying out as much gear as possible, so finding a dive shop with a pool is cool. Dont be too anxious to buy it all at once. Try things out.

Personally, I would recommend starting with regular fins versus split fins. I have both and seldom use the splits......but before the ink has even dried I am sure someone will say splits are the only way to go.

If you are just buying mask, fins and snorkle now......be sure to get a snorkel with a purge valve at the bottom. Then, as you look at masks....do this. Put the snorkle in your mouth.....take the mask you are interested in and without putting the strap over your head....just press the mask against your face and see if it leaks air as you breath in through your nose. IF air comes in....so would water....try another mask.

You will find that the snorkle.....just like your regs....will distort your facial features and to try a mask out without one or the other in your mouth is just a waste of time.

Then when all is said and done....BUY A BP AND WING....sorry...couldnt resist!!

Good luck on your getting certified. If any shop says you have to buy ALL your gear before classes.....find another shop to certify at.

good luck
rich

RICHinNC:
Wow...what an open question.

At least you recognize a lot of it has to do with personal choice. Some like split fins and some dont. Some like purge masks and some dont. Some swear by bp and wings and some swear at bp and wings.

From your post, my first suggestion would be to find another dives shop. Dive equipment costs too much not to have any customer service. I'ld drive a long way for good customer service even if there was a dive shop right next door.

If you are new at this, most will recommend trying out as much gear as possible, so finding a dive shop with a pool is cool. Dont be too anxious to buy it all at once. Try things out.

Personally, I would recommend starting with regular fins versus split fins. I have both and seldom use the splits......but before the ink has even dried I am sure someone will say splits are the only way to go.

If you are just buying mask, fins and snorkle now......be sure to get a snorkel with a purge valve at the bottom. Then, as you look at masks....do this. Put the snorkle in your mouth.....take the mask you are interested in and without putting the strap over your head....just press the mask against your face and see if it leaks air as you breath in through your nose. IF air comes in....so would water....try another mask.

You will find that the snorkle.....just like your regs....will distort your facial features and to try a mask out without one or the other in your mouth is just a waste of time.

Good luck on your getting certified. If any shop says you have to buy ALL your gear before classes.....find another shop to certify at.

good luck
rich

Thanks for all the information. Unfortuneately I'm already driving 30 miles to this dive shop and it's the only one around I know of. Being in a land locked state does have it disadvantages to diving. So I have to ask a really noobie question what is BP and Wings. From what I can gather from searching around it some sort of alternative BC.
Again thanks for the info

RICHinNC:

good luck
rich

OK rich here is your punishment :wink:

:bash: :whack:

There, I feel better now :wink:

Very broad question indeed. You'll get more success if you provide couple of models that you're interested in. And also let us know what type of diving you're doing. I'm a recreational diver so my biases are from that view point.

For mask, fins, and snorkels, a lot is personal preference. You will want to try before you buy, especially with fins.

Snorkel: Agree with Rich, you want a bottom purge. Makes life a lot easier. However, I do want to point out that after OW, many people do not carry a snorkel. But if you want one on you, you should consider stowable/foldable models. For example, look at the Apollo Prestige.

Mask: I prefer low volume, with as much field of vision as possible. I use the Tusa Viewtrek and it works well for me. Tried a variety of masks, and this one fits the best of those that were low volume with large fields of vision. Another popular low volume/big field of vision mask is the Cressi Big Eye. Frameless masks like the Oceanic Shadow are popular as well. But haven't used it so personally can't comment. While a clear mask does not look as slick as a black mask and black skirt, a clear mask does let in more ambient light.

As for mask fit, I was taught/shown a different method for fit. Look up on at the ceiling and put the mask on. Have another person check for gaps and how well the skirt naturally fits your face. I have found that breathing or pushing in on the mask can create an artificial seal if you're too aggressive. Trying the mask with the snorkel on is a good suggestion. A leaky and uncomfortable mask will quickly ruin a dive.

Fins: I would rent these until you find one you like. A good LDS will let you demo fins. And when you do try them out, dive with them. Surface swim demo is different than being underwater. Certain fins are optimized for certain types of diving and kicking style. Here's the latest thread on Split vs. Regular type of fins. On this board, you'll see Jet Fins recommended a lot. I dive the Mares Plana Avanti, and it's a good inexpensive fin. Make sure you try on the fin with your boot to insure proper fitting. As you have probably noticed, boots come in a variety of sizes and thickness of soles, and these affect how well it fits in the foot pocket.

As for Backplate/Wing (BP/W), it is a type of BC. The first type of BC that most recreational divers see in OW and as rental gear is a jacket style BC or stab(ilizer) jacket. Another type is the back inflate BC. Zeagle is a notable manufacturer of back inflate BCs. Another type is a hybrid of the back inflate and jacket. See the Buoyancy Compensation Preference poll. Each type has it pros/cons and have their uses. Some divers are strict in their usage of a certain type of BC. Other divers change their BC based on the dives that they are doing. Here's the last of many threads comparing BC types: Newbie question: Jacket vs Back Inflation

hey jbd....
you know how it is.....

rpayne...a bp (back plate) and wing ( the inflatable bladder) is just a type of rear inflate bcd versus the vest style bcd. I started off with the vest style...a SeaQuest Pro QD....and went to a DiveRite transplate with adjustable harness. Both are excellent bcd's but the bp and wing are just phenominal. I wish I had started with it.

Try many bcd's.....pick the one you like and that works for you. Sometimes you will have to go with your gut feeling versus the advice here on the board. Lets face it, we are all a little prejudice when it comes to our gear.

Take care...and forgive me.....but ....on the other hand.....GET A BP AND WING....
www.northeastscubasupply.com ..... tell them you want the $449 special. All DiveRite gear and fully warranteed. Call and ask for John.

woohoo...
rich

rpayne:
Hey all,

I figure I can get some help here and I'm sure that this has been asked before numberous times but here it goes. I went to my local dive shop today, to look into buying my mask, fins, and snorkle. The dive shop person on duty wasn't very helpfull they just sort of showed me a wall and said pick one out. There has to be more too it than that. I know some of it has to be personal preference, however there has to be a difference in make and model. Any help or recommendations will be appreciated. If it helps I don't my paying a bit more for better equipment. I mean were talking our life support system here.

Thanks
Robert Payne

I'll keep my answer narrowed down to the question that was asked.

Mask... it's what fits. Some faces will only fit one or two masks. Some will fit 10. Put it on, create a seal, and move your face around. It shouldn't come off. Mustaches (I have one) are special cases.

Snorkle... Don't spend big bucks unless you plan on doing some snorkeling too. Foldable types are nice.

Fins... Are you an athlete, a couch potato, do you have rebuilt knees? Paddle fins from a basic viewpoint come in two types, stiff and soft. There are in-between kinds too. You can search around here for a wide range of opinions about splits vs paddle.

Best wishes

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I'll keep my answer narrowed down to the question that was asked.

Mask... it's what fits. Some faces will only fit one or two masks. Some will fit 10. Put it on, create a seal, and move your face around. It shouldn't come off. Mustaches (I have one) are special cases.

Snorkle... Don't spend big bucks unless you plan on doing some snorkeling too. Foldable types are nice.

Fins... Are you an athlete, a couch potato, do you have rebuilt knees? Paddle fins from a basic viewpoint come in two types, stiff and soft. There are in-between kinds too. You can search around here for a wide range of opinions about splits vs paddle.

Best wishes

TwoBit

You guys are helping me alot, and are helping me narrow down my choices. Plus giving me a good way to choose my gear. Here are some facts that might help the situation.

Fact One: I probably will never get out of the Recreational Diving and were talking about probably only diving during Vacations. As a matter of fact my first dive after I get my OW will probably by Disney DiveQuest. Sort of a stepping stone into bigger water so to speak. So far since I live in a Land locked state, I really don't have any interest in diving in queries or lakes. Unless I have to just to stay sharp.
Fact Two: According to the local dive shop around here which is where I will be starting lessons in January. (I have to wait until then so I can actually do the certification dives here in Ky water is too cold here now and they said I only had 6 months to get it finished) They are requireing me to purchase Mask, Fins and Snorkle to attend classes.
Fact Three: I'm a couch potato don't get out much but I do get on the tread mill at least 2 - 3 times a week and go a mile. (trying to loose weight before January.)
Fact Four: As it looks right now the only other piece of equipment I will probably purchase will be a wet suit which I already got picked out. Everthing else I'll be renting.

Now questions

Purge Masks how are they and do they make it easier to do the mask cleaning skill.
What gives you the best and widest field of view. What the differences with low volume or something else.
Purge Snorkle is that something best to go with?

Fins: I'm leaning to either the SubaPro Twin Jet Fins or the or the Twin Speed Fins. I have had some experience with the Twin Speed fins that's what they gave us at Disney Worlds Aqua Tour that we used. They seemed to be ok....

thanks you all are great

I don't know what your budget looks like, but e-bay might be your best bet. I bought an excellent pano-p4 purge mask for$44.00 Yes it does make clearing a breeze!
I bought some split fins, tusa expert zooms for $88.00 and I love them.
I bought a purge snorkle for $18.00 (lives in my dive bag now)
I bought an akona 7-mil 1 piece for $90.00
For the money I saved, I'm thrilled, I would advise against buying used, look for new items from a dive clearance warehouse. They usually have a very good feedback rating(plus high sales numbers)
Also read the fine print about warranty before buying.I just sent my wetsuit back,(zipper broke) and they are going to send me a new one. This is a very expensive sport, some of the initial purchases I made seem like "small potatos" now that i'm looking at dry suits e.t.c. hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom