What's the latest on the NACD ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've just recently found out what a train wreck the NACD has become, but not sure on the details, or what their current status actually is. Most of what I'm able to find is older, and vaguely references things, without providing much detail on what's happened ( apparently resulting in a mass instructor exodus), or where things stand right now.
I'm thinking I should get a spare cave card if the operation is crumbling, but I can't even find out if they still exist (the most recent thread I can find here, is a year old, and the last question in the thread was ignored by the NACD representative that started the thread.)
I messaged the NACD recently, but no reply yet.
I was certified cavern through full cave, by German Yanez (with Chuck Jones assisting) back around '96, on Cozumel, and I do have all my red plastic cards, as well as the paper temp cards, so according to the NACD's website, they should be able to issue me one of the new photo-ID cards, even though (as I've read), they somehow don't have access to their own records.
As always, any good info is much appreciated......

It’s not much different except there’s a new president. But don’t expect positive changes because Rick went from president to vice-president. He and his “lawyer” are the reasons for its collapse. The only way for the nacd to move forward is if rick isn’t part of the org at all.

It’s not much different except there’s a new president. But don’t expect positive changes because Rick went from president to vice-president. He and his “lawyer” are the reasons for its collapse. The only way for the nacd to move forward is if rick isn’t part of the org at all.

Thanks, but what's the full story here? I caught something about a hostile takeover (must be this Rick guy), and something about most instructors leaving (even my old cave instructor is no longer an active NACD guy, and has transitioned over to NSS-CDS), but details seem sparse.
And what's with Jack Hammer's popcorn emoticon ^, that usually indicates some touchy or contentious subject has been brought up, and a full-on dumpster fire is looming (LOL!), which is hardly my intent. Obviously, I'm out of the loop here.

Thanks, but what's the full story here? I caught something about a hostile takeover (must be this Rick guy), and something about most instructors leaving (even my old cave instructor is no longer an active NACD guy, and has transitioned over to NSS-CDS), but details seem sparse.
And what's with Jack Hammer's popcorn emoticon ^, that usually indicates some touchy or contentious subject has been brought up, and a full-on dumpster fire is looming (LOL!), which is hardly my intent. Obviously, I'm out of the loop here.
The full story would take 200 pages but the bottom line is that they don't actually exist anymore and haven't for years - except on paper and as a plaintiff in the courtroom. You wont be getting any replacement cards (if you get a reply at all) so take care of the ones you have. If you want a new card email German about getting him to sign off on an NSS one for you.

If you have one of the non-picture reddish cards, I would get a replacement. The information on my red card had faded until you could barely read it. I was able to take a picture with the information and get a replacement but it did take a while to receive it. Actually Rick helped in the process. The cards have a picture and seem to be more durable. The problem with their lack of records comes into play if you do not have your card or your original paperwork AND they no longer have a record of your training. It sounds like you have what you need.

Good luck.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but here's a serious thought when thinking about replacement cave cards.

If you've been cave diving actively and regularly, you probably have gotten to know a cave instructor that can help do a simple crossover to another agency. If you haven't been cave diving actively and regularly, you probably really should do some form of refresher training before getting back into cave diving hard and heavy, that refresher could probably provide another cave card too.

If you've been cave diving actively and regularly, you probably have gotten to know a cave instructor that can help do a simple crossover to another agency. If you haven't been cave diving actively and regularly, you probably really should do some form of refresher training before getting back into cave diving hard and heavy, that refresher could probably provide another cave card too.

Maybe I missed something. That advice seems helpful rather than being a D&$k.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but here's a serious thought when thinking about replacement cave cards.

Fair points, but right now I'm just kinda kicking the tires as far as getting back into the scene. And if I were to get back into cave diving, I surely wouldn't go full-retard, "cave diving hard and heavy" (i.e. strapping on 3-4 hp120's and disappearing for 3 hours ! ), I'd definitely take it easy getting my bearings again.
My main interest right now is just avoiding getting stuck with only one old, scuffed-up full-cave card, and later finding out the NACD has folded up their tent and faded into oblivion.
So, a little while ago I did their card re-issue thing. Oddly, it wouldn't let me upload but one photo of my card and DL. Their form asks for a front and back photo, but I could only load the pic with the front photo (of my DL, cave card, and the old paper temp card).
I messaged them again, telling them I can send it separately if they'll let me know (still haven't heard back from my message a couple days ago, not exactly confidence inspiring), but I did get an automated reply for "supporting the NACD", so something seems to be functioning down there. Don't it just figure that it would be the part that accepts Paypal payments, LOL ! :D

Fair points, but right now I'm just kinda kicking the tires as far as getting back into the scene. And if I were to get back into cave diving, I surely wouldn't go full-retard, "cave diving hard and heavy" (i.e. strapping on 3-4 hp120's and disappearing for 3 hours ! ), I'd definitely take it easy getting my bearings again.
My main interest right now is just avoiding getting stuck with only one old, scuffed-up full-cave card, and later finding out the NACD has folded up their tent and faded into oblivion.
So, a little while ago I did their card re-issue thing. Oddly, it wouldn't let me upload but one photo of my card and DL. Their form asks for a front and back photo, but I could only load the pic with the front photo (of my DL, cave card, and the old paper temp card).
I messaged them again, telling them I can send it separately if they'll let me know (still haven't heard back from my message a couple days ago, not exactly confidence inspiring), but I did get an automated reply for "supporting the NACD", so something seems to be functioning down there. Don't it just figure that it would be the part that accepts Paypal payments, LOL ! :D

So once again, I'd suggest if you haven't been cave diving in awhile and are simply kicking the tires, start with finding an instructor that will work with you to do a refresher course. I took a ten year break from cave diving myself and when I came back into, I spent a few days with an instructor to get my bearings back.

You might consider checking here to find one. Instructor listings - NSS-CDS Training Program

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom