What’s the most random or awesome thing you’ve found on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found a couple of Go Pro's, pretty common here in FL, I was able to ID the owner of one and returned it but no luck on the second one so it was donated to a DM on one of our favorite boats.
My most exotic treasure was a men's diamond wedding ring found on a night dive at a dive site named The Dome" on the Big Island while doing Kona Aggressor live-aboard. The ring was manufactured by Hawaiian jeweler NaHoku and with help from their customer service I identified the owner based on the inscription. A couple from California had lost the ring while snorkeling about 6 months before and it had ruined their honeymoon. Needless to say they were quite pleased to have it returned and it made for great story to share with our dive buddies.

Sixty minutes into a dive I found a computer. Not only was it the same as one of ours, it had been in the water for the same length of time as we were. All happy when we got back on boat only to find out it was my son’s. He assumed he left it on the boat when we started out. We didn’t gain one, but we didn’t lose one either! On one of my daughter’s first ever dives, she found a gold bracelet on a site called Lost Treasure!

I found a really nice spring loaded lobster bag once in the sand pretty close to shore. There was only a small piece of fluorescent green fabric showing but when I pulled it out it was a large bag and still had three abalone in it that were dead and rotten. Some diver must have lost it coming in.

I’ve found lots of cool stuff in Lake Tahoe. My favorite dive towel came from there along with hundreds of golf balls, fishing gear, sun glasses, old bottles, cell phones. I love diving in Tahoe. I always get a crowd of kids around me when I get out looking at me like I’m some sort of space alien.

Up in my local stomping grounds I’ve found many abalone bars, numerous weight belts, spear guns, dive knives, lights, etc. most was junk but I’m still using some of the weights I’ve found.
There are several coves in Norcal that have old anchors at the entrances. These were used back in the 1860’s for the logging ships to tie off to when they would come into the coves to load up. They are still out there and are quite cool to see.

I’m still waiting for the one really bazaar thing to find. I’ve dived in a lot of marinas doing salvage and recovery work too. The most bazaar thing I saw was when I got a call to check a prop on a large yacht that had come in for a transient stay. They picked something up turning the corner into the marina and barely made it to the dock. When I went down to look I saw that their prop had scooped up a very large chain off the bottom and twisted it up like a braid. I had a hell of a time getting it off the blade and realized later it was probably not a smart thing to do alone.

Some of the unusual brass items I've found include an old Seagull outboard gas tank, still full of gas and two bullets, presumably from fishermen firing at sea lions.
Picture003.jpg

Golf Ball Reef_D3X1345.jpg

Just today.

It's near a very popular 'wreck' north of Copenhagen.

While it looks like rubbish, I like it.

It's on very specific dive site with different directions of currents at different depths of even parts of the slope. Great place for advanced navigation, if you have something to navigate to.

It looks like it's been properly cleaned, it's only ceramic and it provides some safety for a bunch of fish already (it 'appeared' only a few weeks ago, AFAIK)

PVCI.png

Almost forgot.
We did a clean up dive once at Lake Berryessa in California. It was a sponsored event for the coastal trash clean up day. One of the divers found a digital camera under a famous bridge where all the kids used to hang out and party. He pulled the SIM card out and downloaded the photos which had some pretty racey stuff on it as I remember.
A few years prior at the same bridge a pistol was recovered and turned over to the sheriffs department. It turned out that it became key evidence in a murder case.

I found an entire building in a local quarry.

The place had been a scuba park for a year and it wasn't very far from a training platform, but I stumbled across it while scootering around the quarry one day.

Some of the unusual brass items I've found include an old Seagull outboard gas tank, still full of gas and two bullets, presumably from fishermen firing at sea lions.
View attachment 532646

View attachment 532645
Shame you didn't get the rest of the Seagull, it'd probably have started... I've dropped a few and generally a dunk isn't a problem. Think the 10:1 oil mix stops any damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom