What's the Primary Differences between the Metal Proton V42 and the Metal Proton V12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you please differentiate these.

I am a warm water diver but do some cavern and Intro. cave and Nitrox diving.

Where does the Mares Proton 12 fit in?

Thanks,

Sy

Can you please differentiate these.

I am a warm water diver but do some cavern and Intro. cave and Nitrox diving.

Where does the Mares Proton 12 fit in?

Thanks,

Sy

Sy,

The MR12 first stage does not offer as high of a gas flow rate as that of the MR42. The MR12 can flow a maximum of 4,000 liters in one minute, while the MR42 is around 4,800lpm. The Proton Metal second stage can flow a maximum rate of 2,400lpm in a wide open free flow with the lever fully depressed.

What this means in simple terms is that the MR12 can easily supply the second stage with plenty of gas. In fact, it can almost meet the mechanical capacity of two second stages. The MR42 can mechanically match the two second stages. The intermediate pressure will fall a bit more with the MR12 under heavy exertion, but can still easily meet the needs of a hard working diver at depth.

Both first stages meet the US Navy Class "A" standards, and both have passed the stringent USN tests at 198fsw with a high breathing effort.

If diving with a single tank, the MR12 puts some of the hoses in somewhat less favorable positions. However, if you are not diving with a dry suit nor with an SPG transmitter, you shouldn't have any problems. The MR42 has awesome hose routing for single tank diving. I use an older V42 for many of my dives. I use MR12 first stages on my cave diving doubles. They have great hose routing for doubles.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom