What's this for? Mistral related

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Aquired a Mistral [W Pico] and have it prepped for assembly.
Under one clamp I find this.

20171015_141751.jpg

It's not rubber Sam, it's copper/brass. I have found a few of them and it appears to be installed by USD.

When the hoses were new, with that old clamp it was possible to pinch the hose and cause a small open channel for air to leak out of, or water to get in. The small metal (copper?) shim was used to keep the clamp from pinching the hose. The later clamps shown above incorporated the concept into the clamp design.

SeaRat

@SeaRat
John,
After a good night's sleep I agree it was a shim and the later hose clamps incorporated a shim...

However, In all the many years I was associated with US Divers and all the US Diver regulators I have owned and used and all the 8 hours a day 5days a week 40 hour US Diver company regulator repair courses I attended -- I do not recall seeing a brass shim in the US Diver classes ,inventory or repair manuals -- and I have a stack of them.

Now early on - in those golden years- we often taped the regulator horns...and at this late date in life I can't exactly recall why? But I suspect t was for a better purchased and watertight fit-- I do know that we always immediately replaced the factory tennamen (S) and later plastic hose clamps with WW 11 aircraft grade (guaranteed to rust ) surplus hose clamps

I question if the shim was a temporary modification when B&B was on strike for about a year and all those bright shinny cans were imported from Spiro ? The Spiro cans would have possibly had a slightly different OD based on European measurements which would have been compensated with a shim.

I ever so briefly chatted about these shims with my son, Dr. Sam IV who also competed to US Diver 40 hour regulator repair course and he also was baffled - didn't recall seeing them in his course so many years ago, which was prior to the B&B strike.

Perhaps the OP @Ghetto Diver can provide additional pictures of the regulator cans ? Just might provide some hint or an answer.

Sam Miller. III

Copper shims were common as were black plastic ones. I can only remember seeing them on regulators with yellow hoses though.

Attachments

• 20171016_104834.jpg
    20171016_104834.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20171016_105031.jpg
    20171016_105031.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 72
Something that was over looked and tossed immediately

But how about the subject of the thread--- the round brass shim ? Catalog number ? Year(s) installed ?

SDM

Last edited:
Sam
Some photos of the cans
20171016_163952.jpg
20171016_163946.jpg

Assuming the mark on the hose was USD #?
20171016_164108.jpg

Never would have thought that that little piece of copper would flush out the SB vintage dream team.
Thanks for the replies and insight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom