What's up with Deep 6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i've been hearing more and more about deep 6 gear. I like what i've read about them on their website but it seems like they've just came out of no where. Have I just been under a rock or are they pretty new? If they are new, it seems like things wouldn't be tried and truly tested yet, however they are popping up all over this board. Is it just popular with scubaboard members or are they really that good?

Anyways, the things I've been reading about them on here have gotten me excited to try them out. Just didn't know how they compared to other "proven" (if you believe it) tech brands.

The guy from HOG/EDGE that really caused their products to be so loved on scubaboard left HOG to start deep6. He's kept a lot of the things that made HOG great like good customer service, and encouraging end users to take classes to service their own stuff if they desire.

Personally, I think I'd say that I agree - it's a little too soon for them to be truly "tried and tested." However I've not yet seen anything other than positive comments about their stuff. That combined with the reputation of the owner is why they're so talked about. I just bought a pair of fins from deep6 myself. I've got to return them as they're not the right size, so I guess I'll experience his legendary customer service first hand :) . The fins seem like a solid product, I haven't dove them yet since I ordered the wrong size.

I have HOG regs and some other HOG gear. I would be glad to buy Deep 6 gear. As the basic design of regulators hasn't changed in a long time, the differences among the various manufacturers are relatively small in the big scheme of things. A diaphragm reg is a diaphragm reg. As for other gear, well, a paddle fin is a paddle fin. (Computer?--I dunno.) As I see it, Chris Richardson's forte is tweaking and updating time-honored designs and marketing them honestly.

I have HOG regs and some other HOG gear. I would be glad to buy Deep 6 gear. As the basic design of regulators hasn't changed in a long time, the differences among the various manufacturers are relatively small in the big scheme of things. A diaphragm reg is a diaphragm reg. As for other gear, well, a paddle fin is a paddle fin. (Computer?--I dunno.) As I see it, Chris Richardson's forte is tweaking and updating time-honored designs and marketing them honestly.

I am also a HUGE fan of my HOG gear and if it was not for how good the products I own are, I would be outfitted with Deep6 gear. Love excellent quality gear for a good price.

I support and recommend them because of their business model. I'm voting with my wallet.

It also doesn't hurt that the regs breathe awesome, come with service kits and the fins are the most comfortable foot pocket I've ever used.

The price doesn't hurt either.

@cerich is not new to this business by any stretch, even though Deep 6 is.

The guy from HOG/EDGE that really caused their products to be so loved on scubaboard left HOG to start deep6. He's kept a lot of the things that made HOG great like good customer service, and encouraging end users to take classes to service their own stuff if they desire.

Personally, I think I'd say that I agree - it's a little too soon for them to be truly "tried and tested." However I've not yet seen anything other than positive comments about their stuff. That combined with the reputation of the owner is why they're so talked about. I just bought a pair of fins from deep6 myself. I've got to return them as they're not the right size, so I guess I'll experience his legendary customer service first hand :) . The fins seem like a solid product, I haven't dove them yet since I ordered the wrong size.

I wouldn't say he "left" HOG.... HOG is DIvers Supply and they did him wrong... like so many of their past employees... The FINS ROCK!!!! and the he is having growing pains right now so hang tight on the customer service... He will take care of you but it might take a bit longer than normal.... but he will get to you.

So i've been hearing more and more about deep 6 gear. I like what i've read about them on their website but it seems like they've just came out of no where. Have I just been under a rock or are they pretty new? If they are new, it seems like things wouldn't be tried and truly tested yet, however they are popping up all over this board. Is it just popular with scubaboard members or are they really that good?

Anyways, the things I've been reading about them on here have gotten me excited to try them out. Just didn't know how they compared to other "proven" (if you believe it) tech brands.
The are as good as ANY other regulator you will buy, and I'd say better :) but that can be a personal thing. Chris did his research when having them designed.

I used to think a fin was a fin... till I tried both pair of proto-types that Chris was evaluating.... looked like the same fin... did not swim like it... he did his research and I hope it pays off for him.

Young company with a very experienced person at the helm. I don't have the experience to compare them to anyone else, (aside from some rental regs that were overdue for retirement) but with the amount of support he gets from some very skilled divers, I felt confident enough to pick up a set.

Attachments

• 20170511_201646.jpg
    20170511_201646.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 174
I used to think a fin was a fin... till I tried both pair of proto-types that Chris was evaluating.... looked like the same fin... did not swim like it... he did his research and I hope it pays off for him.

Interesting. What I had in mind when I said "a fin is a fin" was that the Deep 6 Eddy Fin is a time-honored paddle-fin design--in essence, no different from the Jet, the Slipstream, the Turtle, etc.--but with smart tweaks/updates, such as the contoured pocket and due consideration to the stiffness/weight of the material. Chris doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, just make it roll a little nicer.

Back
Top Bottom