What's up with this 50 Fathom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishpie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
IMG_4056.jpgIMG_4057.jpgIMG_4058.jpgIMG_4059.jpgIMG_4060.jpg

Bubbered?

Looks like original paint.
Chrome tinnermans.
Original label with bent over tabs.
DAAM guts?

Last edited:
Over at VDH you will find a lot more information about Voit.

I personally don't know much about Voit, but I do know that they have at least one regulator that was basically identical to the DA Aqua Master, it was the V66 Navy.

I also think that they had several versions of the 50 Fathom, so I would not be surprised if everything in that regulator is original. If you post this at VDH, you will get more definitive answers.
There is actually a document that someone wrote for VDH (probably Greg) describing all the Voit models, but I am having trouble downloading it.

I thought I was already registered over there....apparently not.
I have to wait for the invite.

I did download Greg's writeup. No mention of a 2 stage 50 Fathom.
It does look to be original (wishful thinking maybe). The fact that yoke and body are in satin rather than chrome might be unfortunate though.
Yes, the V66 Navy is the Voit version of the DAAM.

I've had some good luck recently with finding some unusual regs (need some luck somewhere).

The back can is obviously for a two stage regulator and it is blue. I think that the V66 Navy was chrome, not blue.

I don't know if there was any other Voit that was blue other than the 50 Fathom, but as I mentioned, I don't know much about Voit.

As far as I know, 50 Fathoms were single stage. You just can't installed the two stage mechanism on a single stage can without doing some machining.

Swapping front and back covers was very common back in the day, but the kind of machining (or painting blue) it would require to produce that regulator was not the kind of stuff most individual divers would do back then.

One of several possibilities is that it could be a factory assembled Frankenstein regulator. Many regulator were assembled that were never showed in catalogs. A lot of people look down at Frankenstein regulator, but in many ways I think they can be a lot more interesting than what came out in catalogs.

And Frankenstein regulator are very vintage. I assembled my fair share of them from a large box of parts and regulator components that we had in the storage room in the back at Divers Service Center. This was in the early 70's.

You can PM Greg he may be able to give more information.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2014 at 06:46 PM ----------

I should add:
I have heard many stories from Sea Hunt aficionados and collectors that some of the stunt divers would swap DA Aqua Master back can and bodies with the Voit single stage front covers. The US Divers Aqua Master breathed a lot better than the single stage Voits. Voit was sponsoring the Sea Hunt show, therefore the stunt divers had to use Voit regulators or at least they had to look like Voit.

In that situation I can see a stunt diver back then going through the trouble of having the back can painted to look similar to the front.

So, maybe what you have is a real collectors item. It might have come straight out of the Sea Hunt filming studios... Maybe this was Mike Nelson personal regulator... :wink:

Note: In case it is not obvious, I am kidding in this last post, but stranger things have happened. :shocked2:

Last edited:
That thought had crossed the back of my mind.........but from what I've read (and tried) the regular downstream 50 was a sweet breather. ....although the fact that it had the opposite full to low tank breathing characteristics to the Mistral might have more to do with its appeal.
Then again given the opportunity to play around with the latest kit would have been as appealing then as it is now.....more so, probably.

I do not think that could be original. All 50 Fathoms were single stage best of my knowledge. But, nonetheless, either way, it is a very nice find.

N

There is no mention in my collection of Voit catalogs/service manuals of a two stage 50 Fathom. It is my opinion that a previous owner created the regulator from a USD DAAM/Voit Navy and the downstream single stage 50 Fathom.

it is a interesting combination, though.

Greg Barlow

It would be nice if it was original......who knows, a new species of river dolphin has just been "found" in the Amazon.

That is the hooka connection. As far as I can tell with the photos is that it has all origional parts......

PRI have one that looks like yours....

Greg is kind of an expert on Voits, I agree with him, the regulator is a "creation" but it is still very nice.

A few years ago there was a seller on ebait selling many different top covers including some 50 Fathoms. I got two, one blue and another chromed. It is not difficult to paint a can. The bottom can has either been cut or painted to match the top can and the guts of a DA Aqua Master or possibly a Voit Navy (which are on e and the same) installed.

Voit only made single stage in the 50 Fathom, their only two stage was the Navy and then later the Trieste which is a completely different animal.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom