What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could care less what people waste their money on! This is a discussion board and we are! They are still split and fins with hinges aren't any better! It's about physics: Every action has an opposite and equal reaction! There is no substitute for old fashion leg work! If I can save one person from buying snake oil then my job is complete here!

I wonder if you duct taped a split fin, will it work as well as a flat fin for frog kicks? Why don't they make zipper or buttons for split fins to convert them to non split? Will velcro work, to satisfy both crowds?

Will there ever be a DIR compliant split fin?

all I can say about split fins this: diving conditions can change with out warning. If you should one day find yourself in a sudden ripping current I promise you, you will know what to do with those split fins. don't get me wrong I'm sure they are o.k for passive dives in perfect conditions. but realize this, its not by chance that jet fins continue to be the number one sold fin in the industry. and most of the people that have problems with jet fins, trust me its not the fins its your kick.

also the MA that institutes the use of fire arms is called (you guessed it) gun **.

Question:

To all of those who say that split fins suck... have you ever even tried them, or do you just regurgitate the rhetoric you hear elsewhere?

I have both paddle fins (for my Drysuit) and Split Fins (that I wear with a wetsuit) and don't really notice THAT much of a difference. I will say that it is MUCH easier to swim fast with flutter kicks with the splits (which is good for hunting), but instead of people just posting the usual junk in the split vs non-split... how about some real comments?

Yes, I have both, SP Jets and Twin Jets. While I like my Twin Jets, the original Jet fin is a superior fin. When someone asks which fin to buy, I recommend SP Jets. The Twin Jets are light and work well for trip fins. :palmtree: Bob

I could care less what people waste their money on! This is a discussion board and we are! They are still split and fins with hinges aren't any better! It's about physics: Every action has an opposite and equal reaction! There is no substitute for old fashion leg work! If I can save one person from buying snake oil then my job is complete here!

Not snake oil. Split fins work. I have a closet full of fins. 11 pair I think. Have used many more in the past years. The splits provide me with more propulsion than any any of my paddles for the same effort. They are more efficient and I prefer them in a current over paddles. I dive a single steel, wet.
(Why does a propeller on a boat work better than the old paddle wheels?)

all I can say about split fins this: diving conditions can change with out warning. If you should one day find yourself in a sudden ripping current I promise you, you will know what to do with those split fins. don't get me wrong I'm sure they are o.k for passive dives in perfect conditions. but realize this, its not by chance that jet fins continue to be the number one sold fin in the industry. and most of the people that have problems with jet fins, trust me its not the fins its your kick.

also the MA that institutes the use of fire arms is called (you guessed it) gun **.
"Ever since they came out, the first split fins, the Bio Fins from Apollo have been examined, laughed at, tested, and re-tested... And test after test shows that they are the most efficient and fastest fin on the market. From universities, Scuba Magazines, independent divers, everyone who tests them will agree that they are the fastest fin... and if you are traveling the same speed as any other fin - you will use less air... much less. Up to 30% air savings, and 20% better speeds.

Those who refuse to accept the hands down winner in all speed and efficiency tests ofter blurt out, "Yea, but they don't work in a current!" I would like to point out that this is just plain stupid. Some old dude... Einstein?? said something about speed is relative... Let's suppose you have an airplane that can fly 100 miles an hour. If you are flying into a 20mph head wind, your ground speed will only be 80. If you have a 20mph tail wind, your ground speed will be 120. Same thing with the fins.

Current is nothing more than having the water moving either with or against you at a certain rate... and if you can swim the Biofin at 3 knots of speed in still water, and some paddle fin is only 2 knots... well guess what - if you have a 1 knot current pushing against you, the bio fin will get you moving at 3 - 1, or 2 knots, while the other will only give you 2 - 1, or 1 knot of speed.

Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure this one. And really, swimming into a current, the Biofin probably is even better as it allows you to do a smaller, "swimmers kick" which makes you more streamline against the on coming water.

I was talking to one guy the other day who went into some current with them, and this is the actual conversation: "Yea but I tried them in Cozumel, and when I went against the current, they didn't work too good... it was hard to swim against it. I was wishing I had my stiff paddle fins instead." I then pointed out the relative motion concept, and asked, was there any chance, it was just a stiffer current than you were used to? To which he did add, "Oh yea... it was a ripping current, my buddies couldn't even keep up with me." "Duh!? Your buddies were wearing paddle fins - not splits!!".. "Oh.... Yea..."

So yes, even in a current, the splits are the best fins for speed and efficiency and lack of cramps and strain."

Courtesy of
Scuba Toys Larry

Not snake oil. Split fins work. I have a closet full of fins. 11 pair I think. Have used many more in the past years. The splits provide me with more propulsion than any any of my paddles for the same effort. They are more efficient and I prefer them in a current over paddles. I dive a single steel, wet.
(Why does a propeller on a boat work better than the old paddle wheels?)

My goodness, 11 pairs of fins?:11: I bought a pair of Dacor Turboflex SP fins way back in like 1990 something and they still work great! And were a ton cheaper than splits too I will tell you. Of course they are not for the timid, they are long wide and stiff bladed so if you are prone to cramps...

I have never used split fins, I am going on some anecdotal stuff I have heard about them and have a question or two.

What about "torque"? If you need a sudden burst of power, how well do they cope with that? I.E. you are doing a surf exit and the surge is kicking in, with nothing to grab onto, you need to kick hard to hold position until it reverses. On a boat, you let go of the up line after your stop, and find the current on the surface ripping, now you are shooting past the boat and need to kick hard for the trail line. Are you gonna reach that line or not? Maybe they are as fast or faster than my fins, but how long does it take to get up to speed, if you thrust your legs hard are they going to push or fold?

I have seen people using split fins and they seem to collapse under stress to my eye.

I am sure for what they are designed for they work great, I just wonder about all the conditions you may encounter.

I am not an engineer but it seems to me that split fins are not propellers, they don't spin, so using the prop driven boat vs. a paddelwheel analogy seems very market savvy to me, with little substance underneath. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I guess here we should compare split fins to channel fins to flat blades?

And if they are that much faster and more efficient, why is the Navy not using them?

See my replies below in bold
My goodness, 11 pairs of fins?:11: I bought a pair of Dacor Turboflex SP fins way back in like 1990 something and they still work great! And were a ton cheaper than splits too I will tell you. Of course they are not for the timid, they are long wide and stiff bladed so if you are prone to cramps...I am on my 3rd pair of jets. I still use them. I have been doing this for over 30 years. I have free dive fins as well as scuba. I have 1/2 dozen wetsuits, multiple reg setups and an assortment of BCD's

I have never used split fins, I am going on some anecdotal stuff I have heard about them and have a question or two.

What about "torque"? If you need a sudden burst of power, how well do they cope with that? I.E. you are doing a surf exit and the surge is kicking in, with nothing to grab onto, you need to kick hard to hold position until it reverses. On a boat, you let go of the up line after your stop, and find the current on the surface ripping, now you are shooting past the boat and need to kick hard for the trail line. Are you gonna reach that line or not? Maybe they are as fast or faster than my fins, but how long does it take to get up to speed, if you thrust your legs hard are they going to push or fold? Paddles do have more torque and are quicker to get up to speed. Splits are easier to maintain speed for extended periods

I have seen people using split fins and they seem to collapse under stress to my eye.That's what it looks like, but they work. Thaere have been a lot of tests as I am sure you know.

I am sure for what they are designed for they work great, I just wonder about all the conditions you may encounter. If I am unsure of what conditions I may encounter, I use my USD original blades

I am not an engineer but it seems to me that split fins are not propellers, they don't spin, so using the prop driven boat vs. a paddelwheel analogy seems very market savvy to me, with little substance underneath. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I guess here we should compare split fins to channel fins to flat blades?The propeller analogy was mine in response to the guy speaking of fins acting like simple levers pushing AGAINST the water.

And if they are that much faster and more efficient, why is the Navy not using them?The splits are faster and more efficient, not necessarilly the best for all conditions. My paddles are better for alternate kicks and and are more precise than my splits. I am sure the Nave brass did their reasearch and made an informed decision. Just please don't tell me split fins don't work. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom