What's wrong with this picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewDiverDan

Registered
Reaction score
I finished pool work and passed the written test. The pool was only five feet deep and things like emergency swimming ascents were done horizontally. Then came my first open water dive. I weigh 171, 5'10" had 26 lbs of weight and a full 7mm wetsuit. I felt like I was pulling a barge in the ocean on this first dive to demonstrate skills. The longshore ocean current was 1.5 knots. I got so winded it was unbelieveable. I am not overweight, but I am also not in good cardio shape either. I am 48. I was so exhausted, I was afraid to demonstrate the snorkel skills believing I would need a breath so bad I could put my head underwater. The whole time I was fighting the current trying to demonstrate the skills, constantly, constantly, constantly having to swim back to the area where my instructor was. Man - I terminated the dive and went back to the beach - feeling discourage to be honest. Would I ever be able to dive? Was me or the conditions? Is this dangerous? I got two gulps of salt water on that trip. Had trouble in the chop. I felt so winded and couldn't get a breath. I am going again of course, but does anybody have advice or words of encouragement. Visiblity at the bottom of this dive (I never made it) is reportedl 8 inches at 15 feet.

See my response in the other thread you started on the same subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom