What's wrong with this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, some of you may recognize this fish as a Pacific Sailfin Tang. I really like them. The problem is that this picture was taken on a reef off Boynton Beach Florida. I see these guys.... oh yeah there are at least three, with astonishing regularity at this location. There is definatley a male/female pair. They are about a foot long. Anyway, so they're not indiginous and all that- you know disturbing the delicate balance.... but at least they're kind of cool looking and well behaved. They could have been something crappy and mean. Like triggerfish.

Scubakevdm:
So, some of you may recognize this fish as a Pacific Sailfin Tang. I really like them. The problem is that this picture was taken on a reef off Boynton Beach Florida. I see these guys.... oh yeah there are at least three, with astonishing regularity at this location. There is definatley a male/female pair. They are about a foot long. Anyway, so they're not indiginous and all that- you know disturbing the delicate balance.... but at least they're kind of cool looking and well behaved. They could have been something crappy and mean. Like triggerfish.

Have you checked the REEF website to see if they have been noted? Someone might be interested. Do you dive there regularly? Might be headed your way in May.

kelpmermaid:
Have you checked the REEF website to see if they have been noted? Someone might be interested. Do you dive there regularly? Might be headed your way in May.
I've not checked the REEF website. I'm afraid someone might exterminate them. Anyway, I do dive here regularly... like four dives a day if I'm lucky and if you come out in May I will be happy to show them to you.

Charlie99:
Are you sure that eliminating them wouldn't be a good idea? Non-native plant and animal species have caused lots of problems in many areas.

I know, but I've already gotten kinda attached to them. Maybe we could call them Atlantic Sailfin Tangs and it'll all be okay.

Nice picture Scubakevdm! If you kill them you have to eat them!

Joe

Report those fish to Florida Fish and Game asap. If those truly are the only two specimens, maybe it can get nipped in the bud early. If the animals are not in protected waters, odds are likely the game wardens won't have the resources to go after them. Please capture or kill them yourself if you can, or get your friends or local dive shop to do it. Exotics are a very real threat to ecology, worse in most ways from direct pollution. Think "biological weapons."

Scubakevdm:

They make a great picture Too..

Back
Top Bottom