What's wrong with this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It's all in good fun until someone loses an eye."

Are you taking issue with my "RedRanger" BB gun?

I could take alot of pictures of ZEBRA mussels where I live, and I wish we could get rid of them, they are covering up the wrecks. And now we have an issue with the spiny baltic Gobie, they are taking the food supply for the perch and the perch are dissapearing, nothing like a plate full of fried Great Lakes perch....MMMMMMM!
These things that I have mentioned are not as beautiful as the Sailfin Tangs, I have seen those in the wild, especially in the Red Sea!

Safe Diving,
Caymaniac

http://www.reef.org/exotic/index.html#Gallery[/QUOTE]

This is a fantastic website! Maybe I should keep up more with REEF... The USGS maintains a much larger listing of exotics but it's not geared for the local level.

Seriously folks, if you spot these fishes, confirm their I.D.'s, and aren't in protected waters... please get them out of the ecosystem. Off the top of my head, here are potential impacts.

1. Interbreeding with indigenous faunas. This leads to hybrids, and loss of genetic heritage.

2. Resource competition. Exotics could scare away the local fishes or deprive them of food or habitat.

3. Pathogen introduction. Exotics could harbor dangerous diseases.

4. Increased drain on regulatory agencies. These people are critically understaffed and overworked. Exotics are a very REAL headache for them, as they have mandates to remove them when they can.

Stick them in an aquarium if you don't wish to kill them, but PLEASE help to get them out. Pretty please with sprinkles on top.

They are all fish sold regularly in pet shops for aquariums. Most likely they were dumped after getting too big for tanks, too hard to feed, etc.

We have those fish in the aquarium I work at, I love them, they're such neat looking fish. They are already documented by REEF (2 kinds are actually) so I wouldn't rworry about reporting them since they already know :)

oops, sorry about that, didn't see the second page of post where it had already been established that reef knows. So sorry for the repetative post! :)

Scubakevdm:
Aaaaah! I might capture, but cannot kill them. They're cooler than most of the fish we have. Don't be mean to them.
i have some nets and stuff ready if you need help i am only 45 min away from you... so let me know when and where to meet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom