What's wrong with this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think its fair to keep someone from learning dive because they are only 12 or 13. I know a 13 year old who has been diving since he was 12; always with his father and always in a group. He is a great diver.

On the other hand, I also see a lot of 18-30 something Marines. Talk about someone thinking they are invincible!!

It's the job of the instructor to teach people how to dive safely, that means making sure they are confident in the water with all the skills mastered and all the knowledge understood. If a student of any age is having problems the instructor should see it and afford that student extra time without making them feel slow. Reading the senario at the begining I would say first, how many students did the instructor have? Did he have a dive master helping? What made the student bolt to the surface? There are still a lot of unanswered questions.:confused:

There were two instructors and an inexperienced dive master (dive master in training) conducting these open water dive. The weather was cold and rainy and I understand the visibility at the lake was about 3 ft and during this time of year, the water temp. was probably in the low sixties.

The instructor that ended up with this child had never seen him before; she didn't have a clue how this child performed during his pool training.

It is my understanding that the child bolted when he was performing the regulator removing, replacing and clearing skill. The regulator free-flowed and the kid freaked and bolted.

It has been close to two months since the training and I assume that the child is fine and healthy and back doing the normal 12 yr old activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom