What's your best mask defogger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baby shampoo. I usually dilute with water about 50/50 (but will work if more diluted too). Then put the mixture into a small travel bottle. Works great.

500 psi, it's grainy like toothpaste, but keep the mask from fogging up for many hours.

Spit or J&J Baby shampoo, the latter is preferred if you want to share it on the boat :D

Then put the mixture into a small travel bottle. Works great.

Must try that with my spit :wink:

I have used diluted baby shampoo with mixed results. However, since using full strength baby shampoo and applying it like Sea Gold and other premium defoggers, I have not had any fogging issue. It is cheap too.

I use baby shampoo too. It works fine, it's cheap and I think it does more to keep my mask from developing cooties than spit does....

The sea drops work fine too but I only use the for giving lessons. I don't like to see students spitting in the same masks that someone else is going to be using tomorrow. So the shop gives me a bottle of it and I can use it to make the point that the rental masks are probably a health hazard. Oo

R..

I use baby shampoo too. It works fine, it's cheap and I think it does more to keep my mask from developing cooties than spit does....

The sea drops work fine too but I only use the for giving lessons. I don't like to see students spitting in the same masks that someone else is going to be using tomorrow. So the shop gives me a bottle of it and I can use it to make the point that the rental masks are probably a health hazard. Oo

R..
What's the difference between spit and snot coming out of their nose and into the mask?

If you haven't already, take a lighter to your lense, the chemicals from manufacturing and I think also over time bleed onto the lenses which will not help a fogging issue at all. I find a lighter works more effectively than toothpaste. I burn the lense until a black soot appears, burnt chemicals, then give it a good clean with hot soapy water. I usually repeat this process once a year. Just before descending I spit in my mask and thoroughly rub around lense, I dip it once in water and then put on. I've been doing this for a fair few years and don't remember the last time my mask fogged.

Thank you for the info! However, i was actually referring to the baby shampoo. :D

I've heard about the fire thing, but i can't help but be a little wary of using fire on something. :flame:

Back
Top Bottom