What's your knife preference for diving. a.k.a. show off your knives.

How often do you carry and use a knife or a cutter

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I got mine from a retiring diver. It was a little rusty but it works fine now.
Edit: a large knife works quite well for freeing fish caught in broken fishermen's traps/fishing line rubbish on the sea floor.

Attachments

• 20200527_193352.jpg
    20200527_193352.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200527_193400.jpg
    20200527_193400.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 132
I've heard from a lot of people that luging a big knife is good if you dive in places with a lot of kelp. Since the small line cutter are not going to be of any help there.

On another note. How actually you guys use your knives/cutters.

For me it's usually freeing our line in the dive site from fisherman lines and lures. Since they keep fishin in our dive spot.

Some great ideas in here.

Like @Akimbo’s spyderco. I looove me some spyderco, but I keep losing the darn things, and don’t have the fun shows/connections to get good deals on them. So I gave up on them after losing the second or third one.

The RopeRazor looks really nice, too. Hadn’t seen that one before. The price certainly is right.

Jim

I have a Trilobite that’s always attached to a shoulder strap. I would hate to die in a tangle of monofilament line. I also have a nice Spyderco Atlantic, but I can’t think of an excuse to carry it.
What I really want is for Spyderco to make EMT shears in Salt 2.

Like @Akimbo’s spyderco. I looove me some spyderco, but I keep losing the darn things...

They are expensive, which motivated the bungee lanyard that makes it exceptionally difficult to lose. The best knife in the world won't do you any good if you can't keep the edge sharp or it is laying on the bottom.

Trilobite on my waist belt, folding Spyderco in a pocket, never used either one.

Old school dive knife is relegated to surface intervals for cutting cheese & pepperoni, spreading peanut butter, and fighting off pirates.
Which is a perfectly valid reason for bringing a knife. A good knife is a multi-tool.

I always strap my 6"/15cm blade old school knife to my left inside calf. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've needed it there, but better safe than sorry. These days, I carry three cutting tools (big knife, small knife, ceramic trilobite), but the old school calf-mounted knife is the last I'd part with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom