What's your knife preference for diving. a.k.a. show off your knives.

How often do you carry and use a knife or a cutter

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought knifes were banned in Mexico.

Only in Marine Parks and otherwise specially protected areas as far as I know. Diving off the coast of Tulum is a different matter. It's also the reason I have an all black small knife like the Aqualung Squeeze on my BCD. If you aren't carefully looking for it you would never really notice it. I've also dove with that knife off Cozumel and in The Exumas as well and no one ever said anything.

years ago the BFK was king, for the last 10 or 12 years the little titanium rode along normally used a few time per year for fishing line and a strand or two of kelp (when twists itself into ropes you can’t always break it) I’ll be trying out the aqualung SS tomorrow.
4D55BCD2-B96B-4674-A4AA-BA6532F8617E.jpeg

years ago the BFK was king, for the last 10 or 12 years the little titanium rode along normally used a few time per year for fishing line and a strand or two of kelp
For many jobs, a small knife is ideal. It all depends on what you're going to use your knife for. Me, I see my knife as multitool. While some jobs are awkward with a big knife, other jobs may need a large blade.

If your only concern is cutting a line now and then, by all means choose a small knife or a trilobite as your cutting tool. If you want your multitool, sorry, knife, to also be adequate for prying, hammering, cutting up watermelon topside or any other job which requires force, I'd recommend an old-style BFK as your primary cutting device.

Right now, I only have a humble little TUSA mini-bcd knife, that I scored cheap on ebay. It's a sharp, cool little blade, and I'm happy with it.
But the one I miss was a little SeaQuest BC knife that i had back in the 90's. I loved that cheap little knife, it was a favorite piece of gear, that went everywhere with me, for years. The best thing about it was the simple, solid, nearly unbreakable sheath (unlike the thin, brittle TUSA sheath), that held the blade very firmly, without any fragile, complicated, gimmicky locking mechanisms, that are so typical now. You just popped it into place, then yanked it back out. You could drive over that sheath (and knife) with a truck.
It was never the sharpest knife in the drawer (pardon the pun), but 99% of the use it saw was just banging on my tank.
I'd love to find another one someday, if only for nostalgia's sake. This is what they looked like (from an old classified ad I just found on-line).
sea-quest-diving-knife-holder-1-blade_1_a2e296b5b45fa6c118f06f226ef5aa43.jpg

For Commercial work I use a Green River with Trilobite as backup. For Recreational and Technical diving it's a Trilobite and Aqualung Squeeze (which also doubles as my long hose retainer).

Remora on the belt and a Promate blunt tip strapped to my leg. Fishing line entanglements and fouled props are some opportunities to whip it out.
iu-1.jpegiu.jpeg

20200610_203439.jpg
Over the years carried on dive trips dived with many knives. I am partial to Wenoka and my 37 yo Blackie Collins is an old favorite. My go to knife is the bfk wenoka titanium. Also like the Benchmade H2O single and folder. USN Mark 1 is a collector item for me. Need to reduce inventory one of these days

When I first moved to SoCal over 50 years ago, I bought the biggest, baddest dive knife I could find to fend off the great white sharks. Since they've been very nice to me over the decades, today I rarely carry a knife since I almost never encounter entanglement threats that might require one. When I do carry, it is usually a pair of shears plus a little BCD knife.

When I first moved to SoCal over 50 years ago, I bought the biggest, baddest dive knife I could find to fend off the great white sharks. Since they've been very nice to me over the decades, today I rarely carry a knife since I almost never encounter entanglement threats that might require one. When I do carry, it is usually a pair of shears plus a little BCD knife.

Entanglement hazards here are constant, fisherman will aim for the dive flag. Thankfully they just get the flag and not the diver usually.

As for great whites, I'm jealous you get in the water with them...…. bull or especially tiger and I'm out of there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom