whats your p02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbomb001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just out of curiosity how many of us are solo on ean and what p02 do u use for a max when solo. I personally use reg. Good ole air and stay about 60the feet or less. . What do you do and why?

My personal limit is 1.7/240' for air dives, though that's assuming a limited bottom time with little risk of having to exert myself, and it better be something I really want to go see. If I'm just out diving a wall, I'll keep above 1.5/210'.

I can't say I have a different pO2 limit for solo dives than for buddy/team dives, as I don't see the latter making a tox event any more survivable than the former.

Ditto. Unless I have someone like Dan Volker or MHK with me who claims they can handle surfacing me while convulsing I'm pretty much dead either way whether I have a buddy or not.

Haha yea for the most part ur goin to die I Just figure sense we in the solo world try to minimize risk it would be interesting to see what others are doing

I solo dive my rebreather frequently while spearfishing. Happy to run a setpoint at 1.3 @ <150fsw and if the surface conditions are bitchy I'll do a PPO2 of 2.0 @ 30fsw to offgas and get the hell out of the washing machine. If it's pleasant enough to deco, I'll ride it at a much lower setpoint shallower (99% of the time it's not so bitchy at the surface).

Minimizing risk is important, but to me it's more about mitigating risk. In this case there is no additional risk to mitigate, IMO. If you feel there is, I've read that there is a lot of merit in limiting po2 to 1.2. Otherwise considering other factors limiting your max depth to 60 - 100 feet probably isn't a bad thing.

Personally I don't go past 90 solo and that's for a short period. I can usually get a good dive in at 40' and up where I dive.

Minimizing risk is important, but to me it's more about mitigating risk. In this case there is no additional risk to mitigate, IMO.

This. The random nature of pO2 hits is my very least favorite part of some of my favorite dives because there's no certainity to a mitigation strategy. There's no statistically significant evidence of which I'm aware that 1.4 or 1.6 is relevantly safer than 1.7. Put another way, there's no pO2 I'm aware that's established as safe other than 0.21, and while it's certainly possible to tox at 1.7 it's also possible to tox at 1.4. Neither one is a very common event, however, and I haven't seen anything to suggest 1.7 is signficiantly more likely than 1.4.

So I've elected to set my max pO2 at a point where a lot of local deep air wreck diving has been done with limited (though not totally absent) occurance of tox events. Certainly people commonly went to higher pO2s before trimix was ever available, but 1.7 is what I'm currently comfortable with. Could I be convinced to solo dive a wreck on air at 250' or 280'? Probably, given the right circumstances; but that hasn't been an issue for me in NY/NJ/HI yet. In the end, this is one of those decisions where you pays your monies and you takes your chances.

1.3 which is also what I dive when I have a buddy.

1.6 is my limit and 130 ft. But I rarely go over 1.4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom