Wheel Pullers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, just wondering, in regards to a wheel puller, is there any particular brand that is better than the other or are theypretty much the same ? Thanks in advance

I don't know how often you plan on using it but some of the auto parts stores offer tools for free use. I needed a harmonic balance puller, I "bought a used one" and received a credit when I brought it back. If you don't bring it back, you bought it.

I know of some people who use true wheel pullers, and others that use the above method being the automotive puller. I am new to the industry and want to satisfy my customers while using the right tool for the right job. Example, last night I did an emergency wheel inspection and the owner of the charter boat said if it needs to be swapped out and you can do it in water it would make me alot happier than hauling it. Now luckily it was just braided fishing line with a rats nest and tension compressed up into the stern tube but that made me realize that i NEED to have one as soon as possible because alot of people who have called me are either zinc inspections, cleaning or wheel issues. Again, i dont want to use a puller that will potentially damage the wheel or shaft.

Forgot to mention, one of the other divers in my area had previously swapped a wheel for a vessel. When the customer called to see when i was available to check the zincs he said while your down there can you check to make sure my wheel is in good shape? The last diver I had was making alot of noise down there and it made me nervous. I asked what he meant by making alot of noise? He said well i wasnt sure what it was at the time, then I realized he was using a block of wood and a hammer to pound it off. When I explained the right way was to use a puller he seemed a little less than pleased with his new information. It is very important that I do things the right way the first time.

Thank you for the info. My area had alot of different variety of vessel. Anything from a small center console to charter boats, commercial fishing vessels and tugboats etc.

The Pro-Pull PPF 113 is the most versatile prop puller you can buy. I use it for 99% of the props I pull. Stay away from gear pullers or other automotive tools. They are not designed to do the job and are extremely difficult to use underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom