Wheeled Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephen1254

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just returned from our first dive trip. We had a terrific time and were very pleased with our new equipment. We were, however, less then pleased with our cobbled together method of transporting everything. We paid attention to what others were using, but found most everyone in the same position - too much weight to carry comfortably on the back.

The one bag I saw that looked intriguing was a mesh bag on wheels with a rigid extended handle. It went onto a different boat, and I didn't get to talk to the owner.

So what does everybody use and enjoy? A bag needs to be large enough to carry fins, mask, BCD, regulator, a 5 MM full suit, and a towel. Something that would convert to a back pack would be a bonus when wheels won't work.

I've flown twice to dive (Panama, S. Padre I. TX). I took a large suitcase and carry on. It held everything except I didn't take tanks, of course. Also, I used shorty (TX) and body suit (Panama), so that probably made a difference.

I use both the:
XS Scuba Wheeled Mesh Duffel Bag, Large and a Costco rolling duffel.

The XS Scuba mesh rolling duffel is great for carrying gear to/from the dive boat. It is made from heavy duty rubber mesh, and can hold two complete sets of dive gear. It does not have a solid bottom or retractable handle, but works great if I load my fins in the bottom, then bcd and the rest of the gear. Easy to pull and folds up under the seat very compactly. Being a mesh bag, you would need to pack your dive gear in a laundry bag to keep airline baggage handlers from seeing exactly what is in the bag.
The Costco rolling duffel is inexpensive and has held up as well as more expensive rolling duffels I have had, and is great for checked baggage. Its hard bottom and retractable handle is great for transport to/from the dive boat, but has the issue of taking up too much space under the seat if you are diving by yourself. But if your dive buddy is sharing your bag, and sitting next to you, there is no space problem under the seat.

I really like both bags, but recently have started to to just wear my gear to the boat by hanging my fins with dive boots in the fin pockets on the bcd shoulder strap d rings with stainless steel carabiners. Then I thread my wetsuit through the tank bands, don the bcd, and carry my regs, computer, mask, save a dive kit, and towel in a beach bag. This works great if I am going directly from the dive boat back to my room.

Some clarification will help:
Are you asking about bags for airline use to get there.
OR
Are you asking about something to drag your gear to / from the day boat once you have arrived?

When I'm flying with dive gear I use a wheeled Stahlsac dive bag check out www.stahlsac.com. They have several different gear bags I've drug mine all over the world and it still looks new. I'm not a fan of duffle style gear bags without wheels for travel on our last trip we had a couple with us and they had all their gear nicely packed in North Face gear bags without wheels we had an international flight a domestic flight a ferry ride and a van to get to were we were going by the time we got to our destination I think they were a little tired of carrying their bags while we just pulled ours.

I got tired of carrying my plain duffel and got a wheeled bag(120l) and smaller one(45l) for carry on from Patagonia last year. So far, they're working like a charm and it's nice not having to look for the carts at the airports.

Some clarification will help:
Are you asking about bags for airline use to get there.
OR
Are you asking about something to drag your gear to / from the day boat once you have arrived?
I'm looking for something to get the gear to the day boat and back

I also have a Stahlsac gear bag for on the plane The Smuggler - Wheeled luggage from Stahlsac They have a limited life time warranty on their bags and they don't have "scuba" plastered all over the side of them. For getting my gear to and from the boat I have a Globetrotter - AKB387

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom