Wheeled Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's another vote for the XS scuba wheeled bag. I've had mine for several years, and it works as Altimira described.
I'd suggest getting the model (maybe the only model now???) that has the shoulder strap. The strap makes it easier for the (hopefully short) distances where the wheels don't help (over sand for example).

When flying i use a hard sided large rolling luggage, pretty sure right now my luggage is made by Lucas, learned the hard way that flying with the large scuba gear luggage meant that when i went abroad my luggage seemed to disappear, once i switched away from something that didnt scream "Scuba" ive never had a problem with my luggage since.

I use a mesh bag for my gear to get it back and forth to the boat once i arrive. When i travel i dont pack my own weights and typically use what weights the boat has on it, or i rent weights when i arrive at my destination. Right now i use the Akona mesh duffel, holds all my gear and is very durable.

Most places where you're going to get onto a boat, a roller bag is only going to be useful for maybe 100 feet or so on a dock. And, you're most likely going to have to carry it a good distance to get it to where you can actually roll it (I know there are exceptions). Then, you have to muscle it onto the dive boat (or have the crew do it for you) and once it's on the boat it's most like just going to be in the way.

About the only other place a rolling bag would useful is in the airport. Even then, only long enough to get it to the check-in counter. And, if I'm going to check my dive gear (and I'd never do anything but carry on my regulator and camera), I certainly wouldn't want a mesh roller. That's like a candy store window for thieves.

My personal preference for travel is a military duffel bag which is easily lockable and you can't see through it. And, no one would suspect that someone would be carrying a bunch of expensive dive gear in a military duffel bag. It holds all of my dive gear (except my regulator and camera) plus my large mesh dive bag. And, it would hold my camera and regulator if I chose to carry them there. And, I carry way more stuff in my dive bag than I probably should. The other plus is that you can pick up a duffel bag at a military surplus store for as little as $20. Then, after arriving a your dive location you re-pack into your mesh bag. My large mesh dive bag has padded backpack type straps and I've never had any trouble getting to the boat or on the boat.

Just my two cents.

I have generally found that most boats don't have a lot of storage so big bulky roller bags are often frowned on.
Agree completely. Hate it when I see large bins or rigid bags come on board. They are almost always left in the area I pass to splash. The advantage of the AL mesh bag I linked is that it has wheels but no rigid frame. You can fold it up just like the nonwheeled mesh bags, just a little bulkier.

It does not come with a shoulder strap but those are easy to come by and there are several possible attachment points.

I'm looking for something to get the gear to the day boat and back

You may consider a dry bag for a day boat my son uses an Apeks dry100L it has backpack straps and it packs down for easy storage. He is able to fit all his gear in and then while on the boat it keeps items you don't want to get wet dry no matter were you stow it.

We have been doing some exploration in the Mexican jungles and humping tanks and gear can be an issue. I saw the Kubi bag in action humping tanks and really liked it. The one for 2 tanks holds a good bit of gear. There are lots of options out there. For flying I agree with what was posted above to just get regular luggage. I look for the lightweight roller bags.

KUBI S80 Twin Cylinder Transport Bag (KUBI-2xS80)

I like a duffel, but I love having a waterproof duffel. For a day trip I use an Ortlieb Rack-Pack XL (89 liters). It's a duffle-style drybag. You can use it most of the time like a duffel, but roll the top shut and if it gets drenched by waves or left standing in water, this bag can stay dry inside. It also means you can put wet gear inside, lift the bag onto your back seat, drive several hours and arrive with a dry back seat. Mine is 7 yrs old and no leaks yet. It also collapses flat and being bright yellow it might even be visable and retrieved if it ever blew overboard. The bag has handles to carry it by hand or a long strap to carry it over a shoulder.

I just bought a second M-sized Rack-Pack for a drysuit bag that will keep my drysuit and undersuit dry even if the bag gets throughly drenched.

I would never put a BCD or weights inside a day bag, so no, this bag would not stand up to that.

Last edited:
I take my gear in a mesh backpack. After I empty it of my gear, it folds up and takes up very little room under my seat. I detest all the folks who bring on all their gear in large wheeled bags and other pieces of luggage. After they are empty, there is no good place to store them and they take up valuable space for walking and getting around the boat. This also applies to baskets that cannot be stored underseat.

Rolling canvas ice hockey bags are roomy, but flatten when empty. Don't advertise SCUBA goodies for thieves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom