Whelk eggs . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Water

New
Reaction score
I think maybe I've worked out what it was that I found on the beach near Cape Canaveral some months back. It was an egg sac, but what kind of egg sac? It looked like telephone cable with a connecting cord to which eack sac was attached. Each little sac reminded me of the paper nautilus, but I knew that their egg sacs were quite different. I'd like to know exactly what the actual name of the whelk is? Each egg sac was a good 1/2 inch in diameter. The overall length of the spiral was approx. a foot long.Thanks for any input. Pat Diver.

Pat Water:
I think maybe I've worked out what it was that I found on the beach near Cape Canaveral some months back. It was an egg sac, but what kind of egg sac? It looked like telephone cable with a connecting cord to which eack sac was attached. Each little sac reminded me of the paper nautilus, but I knew that their egg sacs were quite different. I'd like to know exactly what the actual name of the whelk is? Each egg sac was a good 1/2 inch in diameter. The overall length of the spiral was approx. a foot long.Thanks for any input. Pat Diver.
Yeah, we need to see pics. Your description is a bit vague :D (sorry Pat, I haven't got a clue).... Welcome to SB! Hope you get the answer you're looking for. Happy and safe diving!

Hi Pat and welcome to ScubaBoard, can you posts some pictures? It sounds interesting what ever it is you found.
David

I'm pretty sure that the egg sac I found at Cape Canaveral was that of a knobbed whelk. In the bit of research I've done, experts refer to the telephone cable or helioid spiral of the eggs. They were fascinating to see. I thought I'd picked up a discarded bit of phone cable at first. Thanks for the interest. Cheers. Pat Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom