When a finger spool is just not enough - Manta comes through!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
camera for ebay 001.jpgcamera for ebay 002.jpg

I just got in a new product from Manta Industries. Call it a mega spool if you will. It is designed to be used to lay permanent lines in caves and to replace the more traditional Jersey Upline used by wreck divers. It can also be used to run replacement line at other dive sites between features.

Why would you use this in place of a reel that might hold as much line? Several reasons - easy to manage, it's lighter than a reel- especially if you need to carry several of them in an exploration type setting, load it with whatever line you choose and it will not hang up in the guide since there isn't one, and for a reel of this capacity the cost is going to be more expensive.

Plus not many reels will hold 1200 feet (2lbs) of #24 line like the large spool will at this price! Finally not many people want to empty and leave the line on their reel.

This will not replace a reel in every situation. It's not designed to do that. For those times when a reel may not be enough or be inconvenient, this fills the bill.

As an upline it can replace the more traditional Jersey type assembly in a more compact package that is easier to carry.

Pricing for these new spools is as follows:
Small is $80.00 and holds roughly 1 lb of the line of your choice - this version is the one pictured and has 450 ft of #36 line on it.
Medium is $100 and holds 1.5 lbs of the line of your choice.
Large is $120 with 2lbs of the line of your choice.
Includes a bolt snap as shown.
If you need suggestions on line ask me for a recommendation. #24 is commonly known as cave line.
Wreck divers will often use either #36 or #40.
1 lb of number 24 cave line is roughly 600 feet. #36 is roughly 450 feet.
I can have these in next week.
Just email, call, or message me with your line weight of your choice. If you have an odd size line request (other than #24, #30, # 36, # 40) message me for availability.

These can be shipped in a USPS Flat rate box for 12.00 for the medium and large. The small will fit in a padded flat rate or regional rate size A box. Shipping cost breaks for multiple quantities available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom