When best to dive USS Oriskany? Feb any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean-Sébastien Neveu

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

My buddy and I we're thinking of a road trip down from Canada to spend a few days dive the Oriskany. We originally discussed doing this in Feb but someone told they went there at the same time in 2019 and they never got to dive the oriskany itself as the weather wasn't good enough to go there.

What's your experience with this site? Is Feb a good time at all? Is it true the odds are high we'd be grounded? Else what time would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

js

It's impossible to predict the conditions during the winter in the Gulf. With every cold front that blows in the Gulf is violent. You could possibly time it just right, but driving down would be a disadvantage since things can change during the time it would take you to travel. You would be better off flying and looking for last minutes flights that match with a favorable forecast. The best time to dive the Gulf is Spring until the first cold front blows in, which was about a week ago. Viz will be better in the Spring. After that it's a waiting game for conditions to cooperate.

I was in and out of the Florida Panhandle Jan, Feb and Mar of this year for between 4-7 days at a time and got on the Gulf at Panama City one day to dive the Black Bart. Bad conditions in general during that time. Dove with a 5mm wet suit.

Any thoughts on the weather for a December trip?

Looking to charter the Niuhi boat for six to dive Trimix and DPVs on the Oriskany.

I'm 0 for 5 on planned trips to the Oriskany. I got tired of driving to Florida, renting a hotel, and waiting to go diving only to get cancelled. So I became a cave diver . . .

In all seriousness, I would have a backup plan no matter what time of year. All of my trips were planned May to September and were still cancelled for weather (3), boat mechanical (1), or shop reasons (1).

Do people actually dive the Oriskany? :wink: It may be the least dived artificial reef in history.

I know a lot more less frequently dove artificial reefs off Texas! Basically every reefed oil rig, with an exception or two, probably go for years without a human setting eyes on them.

But Feb is a bad time for the gulf. Coming from that far, I would attempt June-1st week of October at the latest. The best weather being in August and Sept. Unless there is a hurricane. Or two. At the same time... f'in 2020.

-Chris

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom