When can I get back in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R A Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Following a kick in the face in early December, at 65' down, I had a serious water problem in the middle ear. Last week I had the ear drum operated on with a small puncture wound. The Doc said the major covering would close up over night. Learned the ear drum has three layers, interesting!
They did not place a tube as this would have prevented any diving for a year. I've just started diving and don't want any more delays.
Question is: It's too cold to dive(I live in the NC Mountains, it was -3 last week) but want to get back in the pool to practice and build myself up to dive in April.
Any ideas on how long I should wait till getting back in the pool?
By the April trip I will have had the classroom work completed on four certifications and am hoping to complete the open water dives then.
Any suggestions, guidance or advice appreciated.
Robert A Diver

Last edited:
Following a kick in the face in early December, at 65' down, I had a serious water problem in the middle ear. Last week I had the ear drum operated on with a small puncture wound. The Doc said the major covering would close up over night. Learned the ear drum has three layers, interesting!
They did not place a tube as this would have prevented any diving for a year. I've just started diving and don't want any more delays.
Question is: It's too cold to dive(I live in the NC Mountains, it was -3 last week) but want to get back in the pool to practice and build myself up to dive in April.
Any ideas on how long I should wait till getting back in the pool?
By the April trip I will have had the classroom work completed on four certifications and am hoping to complete the open water dives then.
Any suggestions, guidance or advice appreciated.
Robert A Diver

The eardrum heals pretty quick. It sounds like you just had tympanocentesis done, which isn't a particular major procedure. I would run it by your ENT but I suspect you'll get a green light.

Again this is not the best place to obtain medical advise. Call your doc and get the answer from him. Better safe than Scuba Board. :wink:

Gary D.

Yep, when it comes to medical safety questions best thing is to talk to the doctor involved with questions like that. They are there, they did it, they have the expertise. Even a doctor on this forum isn't qualified to provide the advice you seek without examining you.

Agreed. I suspect your limiting factor may be the reason why you required the tympanocentesis and not the actual procedure itself. Talk to your ENT doc.

i was once a dm. the operator's wife is a very good md and a diver. i remember her telling me that the one injury which she thinks divers should be most concerned about is ears. i guess what i am saying is play this one safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom