When did PrincetonTec change their "Lifetime warranty" to a "90 day Limited warranty"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So I got a new light that Santa brought me....

I told Santa that out of the two lights my LDS had, to get the Princeton Tec because it had the "Lifetime Warranty".

Well when I opened it, and looked inside, it seems the warranty has gone to "squat".

90 days? is quality that big of a problem now?

I know I've had several Princeton Tec lights break, but because they've always had a LIFETIME Warranty, it wasn't that big of a concern. Now it is if 90 days is all I've got.

(from the inside the package)

Limited Warranty
PrincetonTec warrants, to the original owner, that the light is free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. For warranty claims, Princeton Tec will, at our option, repari or replace it with a new or reconditioned product. This warranty does not cover damage due to misuse, negligence, alteration, accidents or unauthorized repair, and is limted to original owner. For warranty claims send light together with proof of purcase date to address listed in return policy.

I searched your website and can't find your warranty on it anywhere....

not sure if this is for all Princeton Tec lights or just specific ones.

Can someone from Princeton Tec please let the dive community know what's going on and why the warranty has changed to 90 days?

It might just be that model. I just bought a Shockwave LED a few days ago and it has the USA lifetime warranty (10 years International).

So I got a new light that Santa brought me....

I told Santa that out of the two lights my LDS had, to get the Princeton Tec because it had the "Lifetime Warranty".

Well when I opened it, and looked inside, it seems the warranty has gone to "squat".

90 days? is quality that big of a problem now?

I know I've had several Princeton Tec lights break, but because they've always had a LIFETIME Warranty, it wasn't that big of a concern. Now it is if 90 days is all I've got.

(from the inside the package)

Limited Warranty
PrincetonTec warrants, to the original owner, that the light is free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. For warranty claims, Princeton Tec will, at our option, repari or replace it with a new or reconditioned product. This warranty does not cover damage due to misuse, negligence, alteration, accidents or unauthorized repair, and is limted to original owner. For warranty claims send light together with proof of purcase date to address listed in return policy.

I searched your website and can't find your warranty on it anywhere....

not sure if this is for all Princeton Tec lights or just specific ones.

Can someone from Princeton Tec please let the dive community know what's going on and why the warranty has changed to 90 days?

Mike, I just opened the package inserts for the Shockwave LED, the Shockwave II, the Impact XL, the Torrent LED. All have the Lifetime Warranty for USA buyers and the 10 Year International warranty. The ONLY Princeton Tec package that references the 90 day warranty is the strobe light. I assume this to be correct, and I don't believe this represents a change.

As a dealer, I didn't know that the strobe light was covered by a different warranty from other lights. Maybe someone from Princeton Tec will chime in with a clarification of the policy.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Mike, I just opened the package inserts for the Shockwave LED, the Shockwave II, the Impact XL, the Torrent LED. All have the Lifetime Warranty for USA buyers and the 10 Year International warranty. The ONLY Princeton Tec package that references the 90 day warranty is the strobe light. I assume this to be correct, and I don't believe this represents a change.

As a dealer, I didn't know that the strobe light was covered by a different warranty from other lights. Maybe someone from Princeton Tec will chime in with a clarification of the policy.

Yes this was for the Strobe light that came with the 90 day warranty. ( I should have noted that in the original post.)

Perhaps it's only 90 days because of it being a strobe instead of a regular light, but if a company doesn't have faith in their product to work past 90 days, then I'm hesitant to want to buy it....

I mean I noticed several DVD players on sale this year at Christmas that only had a 90 day warranty. Their product reviews on websites reflect that a majority of the people were unhappy with the DVD players and that they broke often and because of the 90 day warranty, all they could do is throw them in the trash. (just an observation).

It seems that Princeton Tec should have this better noted on this product and should have better communicated this to their dealers. (just my opinion)

I don't think that I'll return the product, but if it breaks, I doubt I'll buy another one made by Princeton Tec in the future.

Fortunately, Princeton Tec stands by their products. While the Aqua Strobe states a 90 Day Warranty, a flooded light will always be covered. This 90 day warranty simply states, as was pointed out:

PrincetonTec warrants, to the original owner, that the light is free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase.

Defects in workmanship and materials will be noticed out of the package and will always fall well within the first 90 days. Flooded or broken lights due to regular use will always be handled by our warranty department.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom