When did you learn to swim? How? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned to swim when I was about 8 in the school pool, but we were scared of the teacher so didn't go for a couple of years after that and didn't become a strong swimmer or learn proper style. A trip to Hawaii in my research days presented the opportunity to swim in the Sea, that made me keen to improve and I have been to classes off and on since. Diving obviously prompted me to practise more and it's become a favourite form of exercise.

Unfortunately its vacation time and the local pool is full of screamin kids...

Grew up 10 or so miles from the Gulf and still live in FL I have been in some type of water since I can remember.

When I was about 7-8 yoa my sister and I were on the community swim team and every satuday we would go all over and attend swim meets. We had a pool growing up and would spend so much time in the water that our toes would be rubbed till they bled from the rough sides of the pool.

I was like a labador dog if there was a body of water nearby I would probably be in it, I am very comfortable in the water.

Wildbill:)

I grew up near the Jersey shore, too. Learned at age 5 in Barnegat bay, continued through Lifesaver cert. at the Rahway, NJ YMCA.
I also got my first diving cert. at that Y in 68, back when the only place to gat your tanks filled was the local gas station. Yikes!

I was always swimming in little baby pools when I was a little kid. I remember when I was about three my mom took me to a swimming lesson class and I wouldn't cooperate with the instructor...I probably wanted to teach the class!:D
So mom just had to let me learn by myself. And then my grandma and grandpa got a pool and I swam at there house every day in the summer time.
Well, when I was fifteen and a half I started lifeguarding. Then I got my WSI and started teaching swimming lessons. Then I started coaching swim team. Then I decided to start SCUBA diving. And now I am working on getting my CPR and Lifeguarding instructor/trainer so I can start teaching others to be lifeguards and such! :)

Amber

I don't remeber learning. I have always been swimming. My mother has told me stories about how I would only swim in the shallow end of a pool so she threw me in the deep end and said, "swim or drown." However, I don't remember that....LOL.....My family has always had a pool and during the summers my blonde/white hair would turn a lovely shade of green. I'm happy to report that hasn't happened to me in years....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom