When do you think virus-related disruptions will end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the only way we will get to 200 million is dead is if the economic depression after this is bad enough to start World War 3. It may not even hit 100k at the current rate because of quarantine and social distancing measures already in place.
I hope you are right about not reaching 100k but I think that is very optimistic. I find it hard to believe the numbers being reported out of China. Less than 60 days ago there were 170 deaths reported world wide.

Hopefully Malaysia will have sufficient medical resources even at the peak. This is in stark contrast to countries in the first world where there is insufficient medical resources.
You have to be optimistic!
The lockdown is further extended by another 2 wks.
Over 200 cases yesterday and........

Without reading all the responses...1 to 4 months depending on how the news incites a panic.

If everyone would stay home we could be done pretty quickly and back to normal.
The virus could still be there.
No one know where it is originated from!

The virus could still be there.
No one know where it is originated from!
Do you really believe no one knows where it originated from?

You have to be optimistic!
The lockdown is further extended by another 2 wks.
Over 200 cases yesterday and........
Yes. 235 cases yesterday bringing the total to 2,031 in Malaysia. Given that it is expected to peak at 6,300 in April, I'd say that it appears on track.

Of the total 2,031 cases, 55% have been contact traced to a particular 3 day religious event attended by some 16,000 people. I believe contact tracing has reached 99% of those who attended the event. This 55% includes people infected 5 generations down from those who attended the actual event. The original lockdown was ordered when infections spiked due to this.

The original lockdown was for two weeks. This has been extended by a further two weeks. The peak of 6,300 cases is expected during the 3rd or 4th week of the lockdown. @Dan posted a link above that suggests that a five week lockdown is required. I would not be surprised if Malaysia's lockdown is extended for another week or two.

200 cases a day is indeed a cause for optimism in my books. It is a great deal better that 10,000 new cases a day.

Do you really believe no one knows where it originated from?

Everyone knows for a fact it originate in Wuhan China even the Chinese admit that

I find it hard to believe the rest of the world can stamp it out as fast as China. China imposed lockdown restrictions that violated civil liberties. The rest of the world is not going to do that. There is also a lack of fear on what happens when you violate quarantine that results in increased non compliance. We're seeing that even in HK where people are going out even with wrist trackers (and these are not locals, but people returning from overseas). I'm convinced the only way China got Wuhan under control that fast is because they forcibly put every suspected case into government quarantine facilities and truly enforced social distancing. I read something like you were only allowed to leave your house once a week to buy groceries, police would knock on random doors and anyone with symptoms (or suspected of having symptoms, i.e. if you bought fever medication at a pharmacy) would be dragged into the govt quarantine facility until they test negative

South Korea is a good example of how things can be bought under control if you take decisive action early and have real testing capabilities. But most countries are past that point now

I fear Italy is the real predictor for the US and others. I do wonder for a country that has universal health care and arguably good healthcare, why the death rate is so high, even higher than Wuhan. South Korea death rate of <1% I think is most telling given how many more people they tested. Italy death rate is no doubt higher because its hospitals are overwhelmed. But that was the case in Wuhan as well so I would have thought it shouldn't be that much higher than the Wuhan rate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom