When does Travis warm up???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For those veterans out there... When does Lake Travis typically warm up?

I'm curious because I want to hit the water as early as possible this year. We are taking a Disney cruise in early May and I'm signed up for a dive excursion in St. Thomas. I really want to get my feet wet again as much as possible before then. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Along the same lines, anyone know any good diving out of Galveston? I need something affordable, aka. cheap. I've never done a salt water dive and I keep thinking that I would like to get at least one in the logbook before the cruise. I know this isn't necessary, just figured it might be a good idea. Thanks again.

nevergood67888.jpg

:rofl3: Sorry. That is one cold lake. Put my boat in there ONCE . . . in August . . . never again.

I'm curious because I want to hit the water as early as possible this year. We are taking a Disney cruise in early May and I'm signed up for a dive excursion in St. Thomas. I really want to get my feet wet again as much as possible before then. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Along the same lines, anyone know any good diving out of Galveston? I need something affordable, aka. cheap. I've never done a salt water dive and I keep thinking that I would like to get at least one in the logbook before the cruise. I know this isn't necessary, just figured it might be a good idea. Thanks again.

You're in Fort Worth . . . is there a Lake Travis there? Perhaps we are speaking of two different lakes? I was laughing about Austin's Lake Travis.

What about Lake Belton, in Bell County, south of Waco? Or Stillhouse Hollow? Or Lake Buchanan?

Lake Travis usually warms up sometime around June. You can dive with a 3mm suit, but only up to 30ft, beyond that, the temps drops to the low 70s. So, if you want to hit Travis before your trip, rent a 7mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves.

Last edited:
second what subzero said. a giant lake like lake travis will "lag" behind the seasonal temperature because water has such a high specific heat. ironically, the water is warmer and more comfortable for our students in november than it is in may. if you just want some local diving, however, pick a spot on this map and go for it (there's plenty of swamp divers who will gladly buddy up)

Dive Around Texas 2011

:rofl3: Sorry. That is one cold lake. Put my boat in there ONCE . . . in August . . . never again.

Are you sure you were in Lake Travis, not Lake Austin? Travis, in August, has surface temps in the high 80s! I think you had too many beers and got lost on your way to the lake!

second what subzero said. a giant lake like lake travis will "lag" behind the seasonal temperature because water has such a high specific heat. ironically, the water is warmer and more comfortable for our students in november than it is in may. if you just want some local diving, however, pick a spot on this map and go for it (there's plenty of swamp divers who will gladly buddy up)
[/url]

"Our students" :nervous: Eh, weren't you just certified like a year ago? :w-t-f:

Reactions: LVX
Are you sure you were in Lake Travis, not Lake Austin? Travis, in August, has surface temps in the high 80s! I think you had too many beers and got lost on your way to the lake!

:shocked2: I don't drink beer! :scorned:

. . . and since I drove the boat, no massive quantities of wine, either! :wink:

Seriously, you made me look at the map, and it was Lake Travis. Took down some fellow UT grads and stayed at his parent's house. They skied, I stayed warm and dry.

In last 4 weeks Lake Travis went from 53 to 57 degrees so it is on its way up :rofl3:

Sure it can get into the high 80's on the surface- about the top 2 inches : ) Also, one must define what "warm" is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom