When is the next firmware update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really pretty easy. There's 60 minutes in one hour. There's 120 minutes in 2 hours and there's 180 minutes in 3 hours. Just subtract the largest possible from elapsed minutes and the answer is the number of hours plus what's left over. :)

I already have a computer on my wrist, would it be too taxing for it to do such simple computations?

Unless we work at Shearwater, we have no idea how they allocate their resources. My guess would be that their R&D is continuous, with resources removed occasionally to fix bugs and issue the corresponding updates. No reported bugs? Focus on future products seems like the most reasonable action.

We can speculate what developments they have their engineering resources working on, but I don’t see the point. Considering the quality and usefulness of what the company has produced up to this point, whatever they release next, I expect to be well received and successful.

There is a very good reason why they have a loyal customer base.

such simple computations?
Hmmm

If you're too narced to do such simple computations underwater, pop your head out in the surface, it's only 20 feet anyways.

You could also just calculate your target BEFORE entering the water and know how many minutes you can stay based on how long you have on the parking meter, you likely have a smart phone with you in the car, which is capable of doing those complex mathetical computations.

And in case you aren't aware(likely) there's a stop timer feature in the computer.

Well, in 1 month there will be a full year without perdix updates? What up? . . . I want for the device to become even more useful. . . . Say, an ability to show dive time in hours and minutes than just minutes.
Personally, I would not consider this to be a useful additional feature. In fact, I would suggest it might even become a distraction. I always think of total times in minutes, not hours and minutes. So, as one user, I would encourage Shearwater NOT to pursue this. Better to spend development resources on other, useful features (and, none that are currently lacking on the Perdix come to mind at the moment).

If I could think of a useful additional feature, this would not be the thread I would use to ask about it. This thread is one of the more painful that I have watched develop in my time as a mod. I wish all my technology was as well thought out and trouble free as my Perdix. The last thing I want is to go mucking it up with a constant need for updates to squeeze in one more "feature" or "option".

I am afraid to update my MacBook or my iPhone. Last time I tried that my MacBook seized up and it took a week to get it back. It has never been the same and Apple has orders of magnitude more developers trying to keep that from happening.

My Perdix is the best consumer goods money I have spent in years from any point of view I can think of. There is a reason they are so well supported on this board. Bravo Shearwater!

If you’re so unhappy with the lroduct, make me a deal and I’ll take it off your hands.

Hi Texasguy,

We will be releasing a new firmware version next week. Normally, we don't pre-announce new releases or products, but in this case the testing is complete and it is just a matter of finalizing the documents and getting it posted. Unfortunately, there will not be an optional hours display for dive time. We will post release notes with the firmware that details the changes.

We appreciate the idea suggestions, and also the resulting dialogue. It is very useful to hear which features divers want, and also from divers who feel such features might be intrusive or overly complex. Such discussions are very helpful to us when deciding which features to develop. Such comments can help us decide whether a feature is included, and then whether it becomes mandatory or optional. As always, there is a balance between complexity, customization, and simplicity of operation that must be maintained.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Hi Texasguy,

We will be releasing a new firmware version next week. Normally, we don't pre-announce new releases or products, but in this case the testing is complete and it is just a matter of finalizing the documents and getting it posted. Unfortunately, there will not be an optional hours display for dive time. We will post release notes with the firmware that details the changes.

We appreciate the idea suggestions, and also the resulting dialogue. It is very useful to hear which features divers want, and also from divers who feel such features might be intrusive or overly complex. Such discussions are very helpful to us when deciding which features to develop. Such comments can help us decide whether a feature is included, and then whether it becomes mandatory or optional. As always, there is a balance between complexity, customization, and simplicity of operation that must be maintained.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

I don't see anything in your post about being able to watch the Jetsons...I are sad.

Back
Top Bottom