When thirds are not enough....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your 'breather (and any other thing including "thirds") will become your enemy when you think the learning curve has ended and you have acquired 'common sense'.

Having common sense doesn't mean your learning curve has stopped. It means that certain things should be obvious without the need for specific training and the ability to reason which things are a minor inconvenience and which are major issues.

Interesting thread.
No comments from the peanut gallery.

I've done some wonderful dives in sidemount that I could NEVER have done or did do in backmount. (SMILE)

(I think BugMan will agree with me ) :D

Some like rebreathers , some like backmount and some , like me , like sidemount.
And to add to DA's comments earlier , it took me a LONG TIME to finally feel comfortable in sidemount and I am STILL tweeking stuff to this day. It's always a learning experience, Even from dive to dive.

"There are divers that dive sidemount and then there are sidemount divers"

Thanks!
Jean

P.S But I don't like rebreather divers calling me a swimming set of bail-out bottles (EEK) LOL !

Diving thirds does not take into consideration an out of air emergency where two divers would be breathing the same tank for the return. Therefore when calculating thirds, one would have to calculate it based on USABLE air (Usable=Starting pressure-Rock Bottom) The rules for Rock Bottom are that you should start your return when you hit the point where if your buddy had an out-of-air emergency, that you could get both of you back to the surface while doing all your stops.

Diving thirds does not take into consideration an out of air emergency where two divers would be breathing the same tank for the return. Therefore when calculating thirds, one would have to calculate it based on USABLE air (Usable=Starting pressure-Rock Bottom) The rules for Rock Bottom are that you should start your return when you hit the point where if your buddy had an out-of-air emergency, that you could get both of you back to the surface while doing all your stops.

Not really applicable here for cave diving. Besides we're talking about when 1/3rds is inadequate, which it is more often than not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom