When to start GUE Fundamental Skills course ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link apparently seems to be outdated. Such a page does not exist anymore on the GUE website, I believe.

Sorry I was being unclear. The link works very well, but that specific page is not on the GUE website anymore.

Sorry I was being unclear. The link works very well, but that specific page is not on the GUE website anymore.

Yeah, I think it's an orphan web page. Too bad, as it was a useful description of the gear configuration--complete with pictures and explanations. The equipment list that guruboy posted a link to seems to be the current official description, but it is kind of a dull way to convey the information.

Navigating on ScubaBoard on the past few weeks I read a lot of positive comments about the GUE Fundamental Skills course and how it can do wonders concerning trim, buoyancy, and other key aspects of diving.

I would like to know at what stage in a beginner's diver experience would it be really pertinent and profitable to attend such a course ?

After a few dozen dives ? Or after a hundred dives, or more?

Also, I understand that they have very specific recommendations about the gear you need to have to attend the course.

This is OK for me, as I have always rented my gear up till now, so these recommendations will help me decide what kind of gear I look to purchase in the near future.

For instance, a dive shop in my area sells the XDEEP Ghost BC, so I will enquire to find out if I can rent this equipment before deciding to buy.

Thanks in advance to any and all recommandations.

Take the class as soon as possible. However go into the class expecting to learn lots, and not necessarily walk away with a "Tech Pass".
I have had a student taking the class with 7 dives prior to starting, and she passed the class.
Equally I've had divers with hundreds of dives who didn't manage to pass, as they had habits that they needed to change.

HTH
John

Equally I've had divers with hundreds of dives who didn't manage to pass, as they had habits that they needed to change.

And that's precisely why I wish I took it earlier. My AOW program is geared to prepping students to earn a rec pass in their first attempt.

I had 200 dives when I took Fundies, didn't earn a rec pass on my first attempt, but with a little perseverance I went back and nailed it. Yes, take it sooner rather than later! I don't think my case was due to bad habits as much as it was not having spent any time diving in the gear before the class. That's why I pointed out the gear in my previous post. A little familiarity and comfort with the gear would have helped a LOT. I would say there's a fine line between spending too little time (in my case, almost zero) before class diving in the gear and too much time. Spend too much time and you risk developing bad habits. Gaining just enough familiarity and comfort so that the gear doesn't feel totally alien on the first day of class would be ideal, though certainly not necessary.

I took Fundies in 2009. At the time I had around 200 dives, IIRC, had already taken AN/DP, been making basic tech dives, was generally considered be be a proficient diver, and thought I was gonna fly through the class with ease,... I was mistaken. I had to unlearn a lot of bad habits I'd developed and work around coming to terms with not being as well skilled as I believed myself to be. It was an eye opener and by far the most rewarding class I've taken. My only regret with the class is I didn't take it a lot sooner.

I would say taking it with less dive experience is going to make the class a bit easier as you aren't fighting yourself as much to break old habits. Regardless, I believe the skills taught in Fundies carry over well to ALL types of diving, whichever path you choose after the class.

Back
Top Bottom