When to take AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
(This is written from the PADI structure point-of-view, but is mostly applicable to most other agencies…)

Some like to take AOW immediately after they complete their OW certification, some like to wait and get experience first, some only take it after many dives and perhaps only because they feel they need the higher certification level to do certain dives they want to do…like a wreck at 100 ft (30m). There are pros and cons to these different approaches…

What is AOW? The “Advanced” in the title is often misunderstood. It does NOT mean the training is only for advanced divers, nor does it mean you will be an advanced diver once you have taken it. It only means that you are advancing your training beyond your first, OW, certification. You can’t possible learn in an OW class everything you need to know be to be safe and competent in all conditions…even though many old-timers will tell you that “in the old days….” Perhaps, but that was then, and this is now.

What is contained in the AOW class? It has five dives, each of which is the first dive of a specialty course. Two of those dives are required: Deep and Underwater Navigation. Other popular elective dives to complete the three more required are Peak Performance Buoyancy, Night, Wreck, Search and Recovery, Boat, and Underwater Naturalist. The complete list of possible elective dives is quite long, but many are not possible due to logistics at your training site….like Photography, Fish Identification, Drift, or Boat, for that matter. There five divers are meant to be a sampler of directions in which you might take your diving….they are NOT the full specialty for each topic. AOW also has a dedicated section on “Thinking Like a Diver,” which covers things like gas consumption calculations and varieties of dive planning.

How important is the choice of instructor? If you are a brand new OW diver, then the five dives in AOW can be really useful and interesting, if taught well. If, however, you are super experienced, you may already have covered much of the AOW material and might struggle to learn something new….even though most do. The caveat is the quality and attitude of the instructor; here is a case where choosing the cheapest and/or quickest possible AOW class might not be the best strategy. Like all training, it can be done well or poorly. The more experienced you are, the more important it is to have an instructor that can work with your knowledge base and not just provide you with the minimums. Underwater Naturalist, Fish ID, and Boat are examples of classes that need an instructor who actually knows something about the subject; the classes can be demanding, interesting, useful.

When to take the AOW class? PADI recommends right after OW. I personally would say maybe wait a bit, just to get some diving in that is not training, but don’t wait too long. The sooner you take AOW, the sooner you have advanced beyond your OW training and the sooner you have some new skills and interests to help you enjoy your diving.

Nice post, very informative. I can attest to waiting too long is a bad idea. I waited 40 years the only thing I got out of it was 5 dives, which if I had chartered would have cost the same.

I'm very happy none of this staged training was around when I started diving. I am of the opinion I learned, more faster by joining the dive club I did when I started diving.

It 1000% depends on your instructor. If you’re going to do it on a vacation, just do it ASAP because you won’t learn anything and just get it out of the way. I did mine in Southeast Asia, and while the instructor was a nice guy, I can say I learned next to nothing. Luckily I also got my nitrox cert in the process and it was cheap.

It 1000% depends on your instructor. If you’re going to do it on a vacation, just do it ASAP because you won’t learn anything and just get it out of the way. I did mine in Southeast Asia, and while the instructor was a nice guy, I can say I learned next to nothing. Luckily I also got my nitrox cert in the process and it was cheap.
LOL! Not sure you want to denigrate all vacation spots on the basis of a bad experience in SE Asia....compare, for example, some of the Dutch instructors in Bonaire, many of whom hold GUE ratings.....

We didn’t have the luxury of a dive club available to us, were going to hire a guide regardless, so the incremental cost to have AOW above that of a private guide was not so much, so why not?

Excellent informative OP. I took it pretty much right after OW, save for a couple of dives in between. Only reason I did it so soon is it was the only way to get out on a boat in winter on the FL panhandle. It went well. I would advise waiting a bit longer if your basics skills and equipment familiarity aren't "automatic" yet.

I believe that this is a personal decision and will vary with circumstances. For me, I waited a year after getting around 20 dives in as a newly certified OW diver. Best decision I made was to hire a private PADI instructor to do my AOW. 2nd best decision was to do this in Bonaire.

I took AOW after about 80 dives when I realized that operators in Key Largo wanted AOW or proof of experience to dive the deep wrecks, Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb. Having AOW seemed to be the easiest permanent solution to this type of requirement. My AOW course in Grand Cayman was actually pretty good, deep, nav, wreck, PPB and DPV. I already had 18 dives of >100 feet by the time I did my AOW

I waited a really long time. 1st OW was in 1990. 2nd OW was in 1997. AOW was in 2019.

I did my AOW with SSI which is different from PADI. SSI AOW requires 4 specialties. IIRC, Deep, Night & Limited Vis, and Navigation are required. I had previously already done Nitrox with SSI, so that counted as the 4th. With SSI, 4 actual courses are done, not just a dive in each.

So despite a lot of dives between OW and AOW, I learned a few things, so it wasn’t a waste.

I did my AOW with SSI which is different from PADI.

SSI Advanced Adventurer is equivalent to PADI AOW. Using the same name for different courses is confusing, but that’s the way it is.

Although you may have been required by your instructor to do those specialties, SSI does not require any particular specialty in AOW. It is a recognition cert.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom