When to Use Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am looking for input on when to use the dump valve instead of the inflator hose deflator (not sure what the technical name is). I have a halcyon wing with the dump valve on the left side.

I was only taught to use the inflator hose for deflating the BCD. Is there any sort of guidelines when to use each? I know I had troubles getting my inflator hose high enough to release air on an ascent.

Dubious

I would say it is your gear now rather than rental gear that might be configured slightly differently each time you rent, so now you can use whichever is most convenient at the time. I also concentrate on having my students develop their "muscle memory" with the corrugated hose to deflate, and only introduce other options down the road. My main concern with introducing other options too soon is that the next BCD they use may not have that option.

Personally, I use the inflator dump valve at the beginning of a dive for initial descent and my kidney dump valve the rest of the time with rare exception.

I use the dump valve exclusively when not on the surface, and often not even then. I can usually just tuck and kick down a little and once head down, all the air is right there at the dump valve. Using the rear dump helps to keep you flat in the water, because if you aren't, you can't get any air out of it. You can check by reaching your hand back to feel the bubble there. (At the end of the dive that bubble shouldn't be more than about fist size.)

My main concern with introducing other options too soon is that the next BCD they use may not have that option.

That makes sense. I think my wife used two different rentals between confined water dives and open water dives. I couldn't even tell you where the dump valve was on those. The lady hawk dump valve my wife has now is different from my wing.

Personally, I use the inflator dump valve at the beginning of a dive for initial descent and my kidney dump valve the rest of the time with rare exception.

Thank you.

nflator only when you are vertical, i.e. starting your descent, and finishing your ascen

This makes much more sense to me. Thank you. Our instructors didn't say anything about the dump valves.

Using the rear dump helps to keep you flat in the water

I will have to give this a try the next time in the water. When I was trying to use the inflator when flat, I had a tendency to move more vertical to get the air out which seemed to throw off my buoyancy a lot. I am going to have to practice reach back to the valve.

Warm/Blue water diver. Rarely descend with a group. I almost always descend horizontally or head down so generally use the butt dump. Can't remember the last time I used the inflator to dump air. Doesn't really matter, use the best tool for the job. If you're descending with a group or feet first use the inflator dump otherwise use what feels most natural. There isn't a hard and fast rule. All IMHO, YMMV.

Lots of BCDs including my Seaquest and my girlfriend's Scubapro can be vented with a gentle tug on the corrugated hose. No need to be vertical or raise the hose over your head. It's also much easier to find than a typical dump valve pull cord. I find the Seaquest pull dumps don't work all that well. Note: the Scubapro is vented by pulling at the end of the inflator on the mouthpiece. The Seaquest is vented by pulling on the lower half of the hose. It's all about the location of the internal connecting wire.

Lots of BCDs including my Seaquest and my girlfriend's Scubapro can be vented with a gentle tug on the corrugated hose. No need to be vertical or raise the hose over your head. It's also much easier to find than a typical dump valve pull cord. I find the Seaquest pull dumps don't work all that well. Note: the Scubapro is vented by pulling at the end of the inflator on the mouthpiece. The Seaquest is vented by pulling on the lower half of the hose. It's all about the location of the internal connecting wire.

Gentle tug is the key words. I've read some situations of diver pulling the corrugated hose a little bit to far and rip off the power inflator from the hose and lost the ability to inflate the BCD when needed during the dive. I avoid doing this as much as I can.

Gentle tug is the key words. I've read some situations of diver pulling the corrugated hose a little bit to far and rip off the power inflator from the hose and lost the ability to inflate the BCD when needed during the dive. I avoid doing this as much as I can.

I second this. Anyone that has serviced pull dump inflators can vouch for their fragility. The worst I have seen is the aqualung version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom