When to Use Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A single member doesn't have the authority to hand out that award. You need to either be a moderator, admin or have the approval of 2 other members who have posted at least 3 times on the same thread.

And caruso takes the useless post silver medal !! The crowd goes wild

And caruso takes the useless post silver medal !! The crowd goes wild

I'd be honored and will gladly accept, if you could authenticate the trophy with the vote of 2 more members who have posted on this thread at least 3 times. If you fail to produce then by default your post is the most useless. It's in the rules. Just like in Scrabble when one player challenges another player's questionable word and it turns out it's a real word.

And? You win the award for the most useless post of this thread!
At least mine was pertinent & informative to those that were interested as to what the internals of a inflator dump mechanism looks like, sorry if it offended the aqualung/sea quest fan boys.

No, all you did was attempt to extend the unsubstantiated anecdotal crap that the non-Aqualung/Seaquest fan boys wish to impose on the entire dive community.

I'd like to see a fact-based assessment as to why this certain piece of equipment is patently faulty.

As pointed out in the variety of threads on this topic, I've been diving one since the original version came out decades ago, and I have never, in close to 1,000 dives, experienced any type of failure, especially of the significance that has been hinted at to the contrary.

Give me facts, and mine will be in the trash tomorrow.

No, all you did was attempt to extend the unsubstantiated anecdotal crap that the non-Aqualung/Seaquest fan boys wish to impose on the entire dive community.

I'd like to see a fact-based assessment as to why this certain piece of equipment is patently faulty.

As pointed out in the variety of threads on this topic, I've been diving one since the original version came out decades ago, and I have never, in close to 1,000 dives, experienced any type of failure, especially of the significance that has been hinted at to the contrary.

Give me facts, and mine will be in the trash tomorrow.

Hi ibj40

You seem to have taken my posts to heart so I will explain my position.
Have you disassembled/serviced a seaquest aqualung inflator?
At no time did I discuss a failure relating to this piece of equipment, I used to use it all the time (not gently either I just used to give it a yank). it was not until I disassembled one and saw the how it was made that I realised there was potential to ruin my bcd or possibly the expensive dive trip I was on. My wife still dives one but after I showed her how it was made she no longers yanks on it either. The message that needs to be emphasised is that you can use it all you want as you are the one diving it and if any adverse issues arise you are the one that needs to deal with it. I just wanted people to understand that they are not made to be bullet proof and If I was to use one again I would only in an emergency or very gently. I dont care how you dive as I will never dive with you as a buddy, I can only hope someone learns something from my posts and I in no way intend to hurt anyones feelings.

Well this thread kind of blew up today. Oh well. The lesson I have learned from this thread and others is to know your gear and be comfortable with it.

In short, you reach back and found the dump assembly itself which is pretty easy to find. From there you close your thumb and index finger to grab the line as close to the dump body as you can. Again, that should be pretty easy considering it's in the middle of the dump. Since you have it close to the body, you bring the tips of your thumb and index finger in, essentially collapsing the circle that you created in the first place. This pulls the line while pushing the body with your knuckles. This gives you the most control, but also easy to find in thick gloves

I will give this a try.

AJ:
What works for me is a stiff peace of rope about 2 inches/5 cm's. Two knots in it and I have no trouble finding the dump valve, even with very thick gloves. Normal rope deliverd with the wing does not work for me.

I will keep this in mind.

If you want a fool proof technique to find the rope to dump.

Grab first the valve itself, then rotate your index around the valve, the rope will get caught around your index.

When this happens push gently backwards and upwards to dump.

I will also give this a try.

I am looking for input on when to use the dump valve
If your trim is spot on, you have just the right amount of lead and you're wearing 3mil or less, then probably never. Only when I'm on a rebreather do any of my dumps see much action. On OC, I'm making all the fine adjustments after my initial descent with my breathing. My wing was damaged on a recent trip and became unusable. I simply stripped it off and went without a bladder. Exhale to descend and take a bigger breath to ascend. Easy peasy. Yes, I had an SMB if I needed buoyancy at the end of the dive, but I was always just under the boat when it was time to leave. It's not that hard.

Hi ibj40

You seem to have taken my posts to heart so I will explain my position.
Have you disassembled/serviced a seaquest aqualung inflator?
At no time did I discuss a failure relating to this piece of equipment, I used to use it all the time (not gently either I just used to give it a yank). it was not until I disassembled one and saw the how it was made that I realised there was potential to ruin my bcd or possibly the expensive dive trip I was on. My wife still dives one but after I showed her how it was made she no longers yanks on it either. The message that needs to be emphasised is that you can use it all you want as you are the one diving it and if any adverse issues arise you are the one that needs to deal with it. I just wanted people to understand that they are not made to be bullet proof and If I was to use one again I would only in an emergency or very gently. I dont care how you dive as I will never dive with you as a buddy, I can only hope someone learns something from my posts and I in no way intend to hurt anyones feelings.

You clearly implied that the "stainless steel paper clip" was a design flawed failure point. I was just curious about the technical support to that assertion.

I was asking for documentation to support your comment.

And don't worry, you and I at least agree on one thing, I wouldn't buddy up with someone else who has such uniformed opinions.

Thanks!

You clearly implied that the "stainless steel paper clip" was a design flawed failure point. I was just curious about the technical support to that assertion.

I was asking for documentation to support your comment.

And don't worry, you and I at least agree on one thing, I wouldn't buddy up with someone else who has such uniformed opinions.

Thanks!
You dodged my question

Have you ever disassembled/serviced a seaquest/aqualung inflator?
I am not interested in purchasing dive gear that is made of parts that resemble paper clips, if you are that is fine.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please play nice or your posts will be deleted. Please stay on topic or your attempts at humour, funny or not may also be deleted.

There is no reason to be insulting to anyone for any reason. Yes, you can disagree on how the equipment works and explain your position in that regard. We call this "playing the ball and not the man"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom